Solution / Cure for Poison Ivy

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by AshAid, Jul 6, 2014.

1. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What are some of your cures-solutions for those times when you get Poison Ivy

2. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Clorox

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you get it and have a DR provided lotion takes as hot of a shower as you can stand when you get out of the shower put the lotion on, it makes it go away fast. I used to get it bad, even in the winter. I use the antler spray now and poison ivy now gets a rash from me. In all honesty I do not get the rash anymore since I started using the spray

4. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  5. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  6. FroMan

FroMan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm so allergic to that crap, whenever it shows up on me I go straight to the doctor to get a steroid shot. Costs me about $75 but it dries up a lot quicker. Well worth it IMO.

7. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with froman......go to Dr and get steroid shot or at least a steroid dose pack

8. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lacquer thinner works faster then anything I have ever tried. Wipe it on....

9. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Steroid shot in the butt. No better way to get rid of poison ivy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

10. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thx everyone !!!!!

11. FroMan

FroMan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't ever get the privilege of having it in the fanny. They always give it to me in the shoulder. Dang.

12. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I coughed up the $$ this last time and bought a tube of Zanfel. It worked pretty good!! Within a week it was pretty much gone. I did have problems with new spots popping up here and there and in the meantime I watched a video of a guy that swore by his method. Shower using Dawn dish soap and a good wash cloth or those scrunchies your wife uses. He said to use plenty of soap and scrub yourself from head to toe, paying extra attention to the spots you have it and especially those spots you always seem to get it or it sticks around on. The key is to scrub real hard!! Then repeat 4X's!! When I ran out of Zanfel and had spots popping up this was the only method that seemed to work and get rid of it all, once and for all. Note, I did start initially using bleach as I have for many years but it didn't work like it had in the past.

13. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I get it really bad. Other than shots or steroids from the dr, Windex seems to clear it up faster than anything I had tried. Be careful using bleach. I got a chemical burn on my arm from it that was far worse than the poison ivy I was trying to treat.

14. Lowcountry

Lowcountry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can go to the doctor and get meds and it will be gone in about 2 weeks or you can leave it alone and it will be gone in about 14 days;)

15. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to be more afraid of it because I used to get it bad which required shots and tons of drying cream, but then I found the trick. When you come in contact with it, it doesn't necessarily mean you will get a rash. You have about a 1-2 hour window after contact to wipe it off to prevent a rash. You have to make sure to use a damp wash cloth and wipe it off. You can use soap but you have to make sure to use the wash cloth to remove the ivy oils and the soap from your skin or it will just spread and rub in. Once you wipe it off just take a complete shower like you normally would. Most of the time I am out at my property checking cameras and I step all over it with ease now. I just take a few melted ice cubes from the beer cooler and a few paper towels and wipe my arms and legs down. For added measure I use hand sanitizer on my arms and legs afterwards and I never get a rash anymore.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  16. Devil Horns

Devil Horns Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a product called TecNu. My company gives it to us to clean our skin and tools if we come in contact with poison ivy. It works really well and can be found in most pharmacy stores.

Good luck. I got a good dose of it winter bow last year. Trimmed some vines in January and thought I would be ok since it was winter. I was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you can find it I have always found Technu to be very good. The trick is to use it to wash off the poison ivy oils once you have been in contact with it. Use the Technu as a scrub to remove the oil and wash it off after. It also works well once you break out but its best to use it before you even know you have it. Just my $ .02 but it has worked well for me.

18. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    OOPS, I should have read all the posts before I replied. What DevilHorns said X2.