Another school shooting...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Dogfish, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When will they start beefing up security in schools to end this bull****?

2. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No amount of security will able to be allowed without considerable amount of money. Schools just can't do it

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Chopayne hit the nail on the head....they don't have the budget for it at all.

I think it would be a great way for military personnel going from active duty to non-active duty to work security for schools if they desire to do the job....obviously screening for PTSD and such like that would have to occur but I think it would be awesome to have post-military personnel in schools.

4. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Security will come when the parents decide their childrens safety is more important than higher taxes.

5. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Well I don't think school security would be too low of wages for someone coming out of the military. But then again maybe not.

6. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Security??? How about we worry about why these kids are doing this crap to begin with??

7. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    X2. We have a SERIOUS home life/cultural problem in the U.S. that shows itself in many different aspects of our youth. Believe me, I see the effects of it every day (albeit, and luckily, not to this level).

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I agree....but I will say security would be easy...gov't funding this instead of policing the world.

The reason these kids do this crap is immense but the biggest thing I think is accountability for actions are no longer taught and it breeds youth that feel untouchable...not too mention the immense lack of parenting skills present in this day and age.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It has almost nothing to do with higher taxes. In most communities school taxes and levy's are usually passed without much opposition. The reason most people are against raising taxes by the state and federal government is because we are smart enough to know that they do not wisely spend our money. The more we give, the more ways the find to spend it on non-essential services. Then they come back to us saying they need to raise taxes to pay for these essential services. It's a vicious cycle. Like I said, most communities fully support their school system and are more than willing to pay for the local taxes necessary to provide a quality education.

10. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Start putting the parents in prison.

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    EXTREME....but the more I thought about it I was like.....hmmmmm....punishing parents if proven the person wasn't mentally ill would be.... "entertaining" :)

12. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately this is taking on the north Korean Kim Jong un of punishing 3 generations model. Effective yes, but slightly oppressive.

13. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Our society is absolutely off the hook. One of the guys on my current squad responded to an active shooter about 5 years ago at our local community college. The mentally ill kid was pissed about his grades and ordered a rifle. He loaded up the rifle and went into the college and fired off three rounds at the teacher, thankfully missing each time. Thank goodness the rifle jammed and the kid did not know how to clear the stoppage. He was taken into custody.

We've had kids bring guns into school and point them at teachers....

Heck we had the Sniper shooting in my county as well. We are the county that put that bastard John Muhammad to death.

This crap will not end....

14. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Speaking in terms of teenage/adolescents like todays shooting...

Eliminate easy access to guns. Do we put blame on the parent, grandparent, friend, neighbor, etc where the child got the unlocked/loaded gun from?

Parents need to know their child (easier said than done in some cases) - Teenagers/adolescents are becoming better and better at living secret lives... And parents seem to be less strict with how much privacy they give their children. They need to be aware of what their child is doing, who they are hanging out with, what web sites, etc.

No parents encouraged their child to commit murder or helped them plan their attacks. In hindsight, it is easy to criticize them for what they did or did not do.

15. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I can't say for certain why these kids are doing this crap to begin with, but I bet it has a lot to do with the fact that you have an entire generation of kids being raised by hands-off parents.

They don't spend time with their kids and actually teach them right from wrong. They shut a whiny toddler up by stuffing an iPad in their hands. They shut a whiny elementary school kid up by getting them their own iPhone. They buy them an entire fleet of video game consoles and games so they are indoctrinated into an electronic world of chaos, anarchy and violence. Most importantly though, to my way of thinking, they don't believe in physically punishing their kids, so these kids grow up being unafraid of the consequences of their actions.

These kids are subjected to extreme violence in the form of entertainment from a very early age. Prime-time TV is chock-full of maiming, killing, rape, murder and other senseless violence. Then there are all of those wonderful video games where they get to run around killing everyone in sight. You score more points for killing the guy when you jack his car. Awesome! Hey, it's just entertainment, right?

Then there's the internet, which is jam-packed with a plethora of real-world violence. Click the right link, kiddos, and you can see anything you want to see. You can even watch the Taliban behead a prisoner or watch a real-world firefight in the middle-east. That's right! You can actually watch people being killed!

Then there are these wonderful social media sites where all of the underdeveloped, immature, and sometimes demented minds of today's youth can band together in solidarity.

Top it all off with today's media sensationalizing every instance we have like this and making that shooter "famous" and it's a recipe for disaster.

There was a time when kids were shielded from this kind of input. If something horrible came across the news their parents would make them leave the room. When they did something wrong they got their butts whipped and not only did that teach right from wrong, but it instilled a fear of the consequences of doing wrong. Most importantly, though, is that back then Moms, Dads, Grandmas and Grandpas used to actually take the time to explain why this was wrong and this was right.

These days kids have to use Google to find the answers.

I should add that I know that there are many of you who actually do take the time to teach your kids right from wrong and hold them accountable for their actions, but I fear that you are an extreme minority these days.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    The saddest and most truthful words in this thread.

17. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know why kids shoot up schools. It really is pretty simple. There are a very small minuscule amount of kids that are anti-social loners. Angry at the world. They desire attention. They have learned that doing something like this will get butt loads of attention including their face plastered all over the national news. Just remember, if kids don't get the attention they need in positive ways, they will find a way to get the attention in negative ways. This is definitely a learned behavior with our new kids based on how we react to that behavior as a society.

Does that mean we should not put it on the news and talk about it? No. But I’m confident this is the reason we have seen this great increase in school shootings in the last few years.

18. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think we need to start a trend to UN-PLUG our kids and ourselves. It's crazy how we have 24/7 doomsday news reports delivered to our phones and TV's every waking hour. Kids believe that our world/country is bad because ( dirty Laundry ) is what sells advertisement.
    These kids need to spend some time out in the real world without their damn smart phone and iPads poisoning their minds.

All these kids seem to have spent to much time alone believing the world is not worth living in. WTH

Can any of us imagine this generation or even ourselves living during the Black Plague, WWI or WWII? To me the biggest problem with kids today is life is so easy they're having a hard time finding purpose and their really angry with themselves and lashing out. Nothing feels better for a man than putting in a hard days work and having that sense of accomplishment.

We see kids that won't lower themselves to take a starting position at a factory or business. They want to go in as CEO or upper management. This is why we see so many foreigners now running our dunkin doughnuts, landscape businesses, convenient stores etc.

Unplug our kids and get them out doors and enjoy your world.

Everybody wants to save the world but know body want to help wash the dishes.

19. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like a new puppy you leave alone to long in your house. He'll tear the place apart and as soon as you walk in the door your guarenteed to give him attention. Good or bad...it's attention.

20. mikerock85

mikerock85 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What the hell is wrong with parents now a days... ill tell ya this keeps up no more guns at all...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk