Went to see NOAH.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Muzzy Man, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Okay... I am not one to expect to learn a Bible story from watching a movie. That would be a big mistake. I was forewarned that the accounting is questionable but I also know I will get plenty of questions from congregations, so I thought it best to go see it. One of the big criticism is about the characters called "the Watchers." They supposedly are former angels.. who were turned into stone giants to protect certain of mankind. Weird, but I assume based on a very loose (but wrong) interpretation of the so called "Nephilim" in Genesis 6:4.

One part I thought was good was the struggle Noah and his family had between what he was asked to do and their own humanity. I am sure he didn't understand all of the details but the movie made him out to be someone who had gone insane with his zeal to do what God asked. None of us can say that has never happened... that we haven't tried to interpret God's plan through our own circumstances and only messed things up.

The Bible explicitly states Noah was a righteous man in all his generations. He wasn't perfect... I am sure... he struggled like all men do... but it was clear God intended him and his family to survive along with his sons AND their wives. In the movie, he thought his only responsibility was to ensure the survival of the "innocent" animals and then he and his family would die with the rest of mankind. Maybe PETA was sought for input. LOL

Even in this error, Noah recognized that when you get to the bottom line, neither he nor his family were deserving of God's grace. That is something worth considering by all of us.

Some of the artistic license was appreciated... some of it was downright bizarre... I did like the Methuselah character played by Anthony Hopkins.

My biggest problem was not so much where they took license with the Biblical story but where they were clearly changing the story, such as Noah not allowing his sons to take wives and bring them on the ark to keep them from repopulating the earth. At any rate, it was certainly not a very accurate depiction in many ways... BUT... I also realize we have a 2 hour movie trying to cover a 120 year period of time covered in less than 1700 words of Biblical text.

I won't take the position of not encouraging people to see it... for it does a have a few valid (if veiled) Theological points. But I will say... as with all Bible movies... know the story before you go and use it as a platform to discuss with those who may think they now know what the Bible says.

Sorry so long... I certainly don't want to start a debate... you can go start your own thread for that. (You know who you are)

2. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im going to see it tonight. Whether its 100 % accurate or not I glad to see a movie made like this. It might not be a teaching tool for Christanity beacause of the reasons you stated but it might plant some seeds.

3. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Great... not even close to 100% but I mostly enjoyed it... for what it is.

4. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I plan on checking it out.

Accuracy is in the Archer.

5. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing. I have read some reviews already of it not even being a good movie. I still want to see it to validate that but from what I have heard they completely changed the biblical aspect of the movie somewhat that you said too.

6. Turkeysniper511

Turkeysniper511 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Definitly agree on the read it before you watch it.
    I think more people would actualy like reading it if they actualy took the tme to do it.
    So would you give the movie a A or B or different because Id like to watch it too but if its completley different then the book then really aint worth watching.

7. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    For Biblical accuracy... C-... at best. If you want it to be the same as the Genesis account... I would advise don't go. As I said... I went because members of my congregation will have questions. I did not take my 16 year old. However there is a scene where Noah realizes he and his family were capable of being just as evil as anyone else... That epiphanol moment gets an A+.

8. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm planning to see it, as a Hollywood movie for entertainment only. I will never rely on a movie for biblical information.

9. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I won't be subsidizing the hackjob of a biblical based story by going to see this movie. Personally I think Hollyweird was irked because movies like The Passion and Son Of God have done so well so this was a way of sticking their thumbs in the eyes of the religious right while urinating on the bible and Christianity as a whole.

10. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    Yup....

11. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    By the numbers (40 million opening weekend, 125 million predicted just in the U.S. from ticket sales) the movie is a success which means further "Hollywood" God movies. Even if they are not accurate I love the thought of it being out there and talked about. Some people need it sugar coated.

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think a lot of people are seeing it out of morbid curiosity and a lot of others are seeing it just because Emma Watson is in it. Then again, probably a lot of people are seeing it just because there's not a lot to compete with it in theaters either.

Sugar coated? In what way?

13. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    I like Russell and most his films fit my style...

14. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some of my friends would have a hard time sitting down and reading this portion of the bible, but they will not pass up watching Russell's version on the big screen.

15. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:

In that big theatrical production movie style to convey what many otherwise would not know or be aware of with the decline in biblical study.

16. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I saw it tonight and to say it is not what I expected. from a movie standpoint I give it a C, from a Biblical standpoint I give it a D-

17. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. It is just for entertainment. Hollywood ALWAYS put their spin on things. I will wait until it is out on Netflix later this year..

18. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the heads up Muzzy Man. Sounds like a good rental.

19. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Would love to see Hollywood attempt "Hagar and Ishmael" starring Halle Berry and Jamie Fox. Or better yet "The Prophet Muhammad" starring Cedric the Entertainer. CNN could squeeze 6 solid months of promoting the backlash over that business.

20. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    100% agree with this...

However, I will use this as it has opened doors for preaching Christ