A Deliberate Life.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MGH_PA, Jan 20, 2014.

1. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    A few of you may remember me posting a trailer for this a while back. I never realized that Rockhouse had posted the full length version as well. Anyways, if you have ~15 minutes to spare (the last 3 is just credit footage), it's worth the watch.

The message is strongly focused around fishing, but could be applied to a lot of things in life. It made me re-evaluate some things about my job. I would love to have the courage to step out on my own doing something that is my passion, but I'm too much of a secure freak to do so. I think part of me agrees with the fact that you shouldn't waste your life away doing something you don't enjoy, but at the same time I don't think it's realistic to say EVERYONE should or even can be doing what they love. There's a lot of sacrifices that would have to be made (many of the people in this video elude to the fact that they aren't making a ton of money, and they probably don't have a ton of savings, materialistic things, etc. However, they do seem happy.

So what are your thoughts? Have you ever thought about taking the plunge away from the security blanket that is your day job to pursue a passion? Could you make it work? Curious to hear what your thoughts are.

Regardless of what you take away from the message, the videography is well done. Enjoy.

[video=vimeo;54169719]https://vimeo.com/54169719[/video]

2. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I Like It!

3. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I respect those that do if it makes them happy, but it is not for me.

Two sayings come to mind.
    "Don't confuse your hobby with your profession "
    "If you want to ruin a good hobby, turn it into a business."

I am fortunate that I enjoy my work but I don't consider it a passion. My passions are skiing, bicycling, and photography. However, my job allows me to pursue more than one passion and have balance in my life. I have zero desire to pursue a career, directly or indirectly related to, any of my hobbies.

4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Jack, the hobby as a job ruining the hobby aspect crossed my mind as well.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Bumping this back up again. Seems relevant right now in my life/career.

Anyone ever thought of pursuing other interests even if it was more risk than a safe career?

6. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For sure. I'm always thinking about how I could leave my job to pursue passions. It can definitely be done, just a huge mental wall to take down. Luckily, I'm still young and don't have as many commitments as others, so it's easier for me to say all of this.

But look around and you will see too many people focusing on obtaining as many objects as they can. Living in big houses with furniture to fill up all the wasted space and then a new truck, car, or boat. They'll use the word "happy" but then have mental breakdowns over bills or their job. Of course you could have a job your passionate about and still have those things but a lot of times that is not the case.

My biggest obstacle would be to convince myself that it could be done. I'd be the first to tell you to follow your passion and the first to make an excuse for myself as to why I'm not.

7. cr422

cr422 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have heard it said that, if you want to truly enjoy life, determine what it is you really love doing, and figure out a way to make a living doing it.

8. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  9. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a college educated photographer.
    The money to be made in photography is found in the cities.
    I don't like the city life.
    I work in the construction field today, mostly painting houses. I like what I do for a living.
    However I really love hunting and especially elk hunting.
    There was no way that I could afford to be hunting elk every fall so I took a job as an elk hunting guide for 10 years. It fulfilled my desires to/passion for elk hunting and still gave me time to earn a living, support and do something that I loved without the worry of making sure that I could support my family with my "addiction" or as it is called my avocation.

10. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I feel that this somewhat applied to the path I've taken.

Out of high school I knew college wasn't going to be my gig. I took a job at a manufacturing facility building drop away rests for Mathews and Hoyt. Sounded great at the time, but it was just your a-typical manufacturing line work. I hated it.

Through that, I met a guy who had a connection with a manager at a big box sporting goods store. We met up, talked, and they brought me in board. I worked at that store for 8 years, making it to management level, hating what I did. The last year or two I really started to feel "boxed" in. Like the gal in the video, I felt like no matter what I did or how hard I tried I couldn't make an impact. To business wasn't entirely affected by my personal accomplishments. I knew I wanted to stay in the archery industry and I wanted to stay in retail. I wanted to work with people on a closer level.

Shortly after that, the owner of an archery shop approached me. He had one employee, himself, and the company was 10 months old. We began talking over a few dinners and scraped up what we could to match my salary. We could make it work. I was leaving a job I had 8 years of seniority at (I'm 26) had great benefits and a network that would allow me to move all over the west. But I hated it.

I jumped on board with this new shop and we have been absolutely booming. The effort us two put into the business is rewarded on an almost daily basis. I get to work with people on a much more personal level and I've made some incredible friends on the professional side of the business. We've made it into catalogs and have become the #2 dealer in our state for Prime, second only to a box store conglomerate. We will likely pass them this year. Some incredible things are happening for us and the future is incredibly bright.

It wasn't a drastic change, in terms of my career, but I knew where I was before was not where I wanted to be and that the impact I was capable of making would never be met. I absolutely look forward to Mondays now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Backcountry,

That's good to hear. I often wonder why so many people find themselves in occupations they don't truly enjoy. I know many believe should separate passion/hobbies from you work, but to be honest, I don't completely buy it. If you spend the majority of your adult life working a job that makes you content, or worse, resentful, you're not really living.

I have quite a bit of time off in my line of work, but I still think I could be happier elsewhere. Making it happen is the challenging aspect.

12. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Damn Matt!!!! Thanks for pulling this back up today! Needed it

13. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm lucky enough to have a job atm that I truly enjoy showing up to work at, for the most part. This past season was tough for me though, because I had to give up a lot of my season to keep up with my duties in the new position. I caught myself complaining a lot, but when I really started thinking about it I realized how blessed I am.

14. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:

You got it!

Thinking of making a switch? :)

15. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    I have my hands in a few new ventures currently which could potentially and quickly lead to a roller coaster of opportunity. Like you, the thought of walking away from the sure thing paycheck and job that I could retire from is a scary proposition that weighs on my heavily. BUT, I know that if I don't give it a shot I will always regret it ;) As my 5 year old in his infinite wisdom told me last night at dinner..... YOLO Daddy

16. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Watching this again today actually made me emotional..... really made my wheels spin.

17. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    "First world problems!"

18. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First world privileges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. ath1089

ath1089 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1452569174.035430.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  20. Mo_bowhnter

Mo_bowhnter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can't find a good link to full movie. Anyone got a link?