Any Waterfowlers?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Just Passin thru, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wasn't sure where to put this so I just threw it in here....How many of you guys/gals waterfowl hunt? Any die hard waterfowlers? My older cousin is taking me out for the first time this year and I am super pumped! It really looks like a blast, plus my brother who has never hunted a single thing in his life wants to give it a shot as well which is pretty cool. I'm going to buy some gear later this month. Looks like I have another countdown to add to my phone....

2. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got into it last year and really enjoyed it, eventhough it all but sucks around here. A few of us are planning on going to western TN right after Christmas this year, I'm pumped. I could see it being real good if there were actually ducks to shoot at, lol.

3. Just Passin thru

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I am kind of lucky, Michigan has some phenomenal duck hunting from what I have heard. My cousin who is taking me mainly hunts on public land marsh that the DNR specifically set up for the ducks. It's some crazy amount of acres too. He said they look like mosquitoes in the sky there is so many, but getting them to come to your specific area is the hard part.

4. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dove season opened in Maryland so I will go down to do that soon.and we are planning to go for ducks and snow geese in the next few months

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pretty torn between waterfowl and deer hunting. They both consume my weekends from September to January.

I went out this past weekend

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One day a year I enjoy hunting ringnecks.

Attached Files:

7. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I went out two nights ago with my bow trying to decoy geese in bow range..... decoyed 100+ geese in but the closest goose was 62 yards and I'm only confident out to 50 (3" group) but I went ahead and took the shot with 10 mins of light left and missed 1" left, Oh well..... This morning I went back out and took the shotty with me.... little different story. Only one flock of 7 birds and a brand new 10 month old lab so I had to be a little more cautious. The pup did GREAT!!! Stayed steady in his blind, even had a goose land 20 yards in front of him while the rest were cupped up and committing to land. Shot 2 out of the 7 total and never had another flock. Couldn't get out tonight but the landowner called and said there was over 100 birds again in there tonight. Tomorrow night I plan on going back in for a massacre. Heres a few pics from this morning:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As I mentioned in my first post, that's where I came from. Ducks and geese. That was my thing, until I had to put my dog down. It took the wind out of my sails on ducks. But there's nothing like working a dog in your blind or field. IMO there aren't many more things that you can do that are more fun.

That is a beautiful chocolate lab. I had a yellow (Bear) but always had an affinity for the chocolates. I think it's incredible to watch a labs instincts take over while they're hunting.

If I ever were to get another water dog, it would be a lab. Strict pointing bird dog, gotta go with a german shorthair.

9. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I eat,sleep, breath waterfowling. I've gotten back into bow hunting because of my son but my true love is waterfowl.

10. Just Passin thru

Dislikes Received:
    Feel free to share some pics man! I've been watching youtube videos for the past hour and I am so pumped to get out there!

11. sbrandt300

sbrandt300 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think I just may like chasing ducks n geese more than big bucks. We make trips out to north Dakota every year and so far ive killed 12 species of birds out there. great sport to get into.

12. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I spend 2 weeks in ND. Counting down the days right now till we leave for the NR opener.
    Pics...you'd get tired of seeing my waterfowling pics,but I'll share a few
    In a rice field in AR

[​IMG]

Me and my son in an open water blind
    [​IMG]
    Me,my old dog and my dad at the edge of a hole in ND
    [​IMG]
    Lets see if these post and maybe I'll post some more

13. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    More pics for JPT
    My son on his first ND hunt last year.
    [​IMG]
    Me and my son in a flooded corn field.
    [​IMG]
    My son with some birds.
    [​IMG]
    Me on a good snow goose hunt in MO.
    [​IMG]

14. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And a few more
    Nasty,cold snow goose hunt last year
    [​IMG]
    Me and my son in a good timber hole
    [​IMG]
    Me and my old dog with a banded pintail in ND a few years ago.
    [​IMG]
    Lots more,but y'all get the idea!!!!

15. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ducks and bucks, my two favorite hunting pastimes. I got into waterfowl hunting a few years ago but I've been hooked every since. Whitetail hunting will always be my favorite, but waterfowl hunting is a close second. Nothing beats a morning out on the water accompanied by the morning flight of ducks cupping into the decoys. I feel like it its a combination of the covert aspect of bow hunting with the skill aspect of upland bird hunting, not to mention you get to stink as bad as you want in the duck blind. It's a lot of fun

16. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great pics Grnhd. With a 10 month old pup I feel I owe a ND or AR trip to him and myself ( at least that's what I tell the wife lol). I'm sure Western Ky has some good hunting with the river being on that side of he state. We have our days here but I would consider OH the armpit of the waterfowl nation unless your up by Lake Erie. Either way my 3 state travels for deer this year are going to be cut down in order to pursue birds with the pup. Nothing better than making memories with mans best friend.

17. JCraig

JCraig Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If I'm not in a treestand I'm in the duck blind. More often than not I choose waterfowl over deer. Unbelievable how much fun it can be, and how addicting it is. Hope you like it! Update us with pics! Quacks and Racks!

18. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes I think I bow hunt to pass the time between duck hunting. I love sneaking down the river in my kayak into the blind before first light. We are privileged to have some great waterfowl hunting here in MD as long as the weather cooperates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.skyangler.com

19. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a 9 month old BLF pup I've been training to take the place of my 10 year old BLF. She's looking good. Myself,I couldn't imagine hunting with out a dog, hell it's half the fun to watch them work.
    We get some birds here when the weather is right. You would be more than welcome to come hunt. Load up your pup and come hunt with me this winter if you head out this way.

Oops..I forgot I'm not on a waterfowl site. BLF=black lab female

20. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've waterfowl hunted with my father since i was 8y/o. I didnt take up deer hunting until i was 18.

Yesterday was opening day of early goose season. we came short to getting our limit (20). still a great day though.

Here's a few pictures from last season.
    photo 5.jpg photo 4.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 1.jpg

Between the 4 of us that hunt together we harvest around around 60-90 geese a year - We would get more but once duck season comes in we focus on quackers.

Our duck harvest range from low 120' to high 150's a year.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013