Need new truck tires.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Oly44, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys im in need of some new tires for my truck and I'm not sure what kind of tire to get. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions? Im looking at grand for 4 tires max but preferably around $800 if possible. I want something a little more aggressive but does well on the highway. My tire size is 265/75r16.

2. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got Goodyear DuraTracs this winter, and I am thoroughly impressed with them. I payed more than your range ($1300), but I got 10 ply 285/75r16s. These things will go through just about anything.

How aggressive of a tread pattern are you looking for?

3. chester33

chester33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got general tire grabber AT-2 they are all terrain tires, similar to the BFgoodrich all terrain's, paid 800 for them ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366170203.718396.jpg

4. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yokohama highlanders

5. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was checking out some all terrain tire but im thinking i want some more aggressive tires. I found these (http://www.hankooktireusa.com/Product/product.aspx?pageNum=1&subNum=1&ChildNum=4&FnCode=045 ) They are more of a mud tire it looks like but ive read they do well on they highway too.

6. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  7. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I cant see the pic. I did look up the tire you have though, I like the looks of them.

8. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nitto Trail Grapplers are the best looking tire around IMO. Put them on my last truck before selling. GREAT driving tire for a mud terrain, and was getting excellent wear out of them. They were just under $1000 for a set of 4 35x12.50R18.

If it is too agressive of a side wall, my Toyo ATs were the best tire I've ever owned.

9. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's not loading for me. But seeing Hankook, I'm guessing Dynapro ATms or Dynapro MTs? My old man has the ATms, and they seem to be pretty good. They definitely don't do as well in the mud and snow as my tires, but they should last longer than mine, too. A lot of people around here have the MTs, and I have heard no complaints from anyone.

10. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yokahama geolander M/T paid about $1020 or somthin like that for the tires, mounted, and ballanced. put over 50,000 miles on them and they are neededing to be changed (pretty bald now). and will probably get the same thing again. oh and they are the same size 265/75/R16

11. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my truck 2.jpg
    the picture really doesnt do them justice they are a M/T

12. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah i was looking at the mts. The price doesnt look that bad either for them.

Those look pretty sweet and 50,000 miles is not bad at all. Mine right now are pretty bald so ive been search for nome new ones.

What year is your truck? I have a 02' 1500 that looks like yours just blue and running boards

13. MN-IN.A.TREE

MN-IN.A.TREE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  14. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm currently running that exact size in Goodyear Duratrac's and I can attest to their quality. Far too many people in the Toyota offroad forums were praising these for me to ignore them. I've got about 20K on them, and I will easily get another 20K if not more out of them. They are great in all conditions, especially in the snow/mud. I was previously running Nitto Terra Grapplers (their AT), and loved those, too, but they weren't as good in the snow/mud, obviously. Quieter than the Duratracs, but the trade off in traction was worth it. As a side note, I had over 55K on the Terra Grapplers when I took them off, and I wasn't down to the tread warning indicator yet.

I looked at the General Grabber, but in 265/75/16, unless it has changed, was only available in a load range E, which for a Tacoma, is unnecessary. On a 1/2 ton like yours, it won't matter much. They are worth a look as well.

15. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    These are a great tire for the $. One of my buddies has had 2 sets. He swears by them. And I do have to say they look badazz on his truck!

16. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  17. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Michelins for me. I usually get at least 110,000. I also have used Summit Tires with great results. I have a set on my 90 Blazer that is 14 years old... I know I am pushing it but I don't go far in it anymore.

18. IL_Bow_Man

IL_Bow_Man Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I see you have it narrowed down already...but I ran BFG's All Terrain for years on the jeep. When I lifted it I upgraded to BFG Mud Terrain KM2's. I would recommend either one of these tires.

19. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Another fan of the General Tire AT2 here....would recommend Dayton Timberline but China won't give back the molds so no longer available. Best all around tires for reasonable cost I was able to find. I have had BfGoodrich RT T/A and Goodyear Wranglers that had harder rubber and last longer but don't do near as well in the snow and mud seasons we have here(which work out to about 2/3 of the year). I work in the woods mostly, but have to travel 30-50 miles of blacktop to get there so highway travel was a big consideration as well and I get better mileage with the AT2 than I did with the Wranglers. Also most the loggers round here were using the Timberlines till unavailable and switched to the AT2 as well.

20. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    X3 on the DuraTracs. Have them on my Jeep. Ran then a year before tearing my girl apart. Looking to put them on the resort truck this summer. Great year round traction and pretty quiet for an aggressive tread :tu:

[​IMG]