Legend dies

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Iowa Veteran, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Joe Paterno, with his legend tarnished this year, passed away today at the age of 85.

2. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rough couple of months for that dude.

3. wahoohunter

wahoohunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like they said this morning, I'd say a broken heart played into his passing as much as the cancer did.

A great person and coach, RIP Coach Paterno.

4. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I believe that the cancer was expedited by the stress he was going through and his death came due to the loss of his reason for living (Penn St Football). May he RIP.

5. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rip Joe.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

6. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  7. leinen

leinen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    like the others said, Joe Pa passed because of the heart break. he will definitely be missed.

8. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A sad day for all of collegiate football indeed. A great passed on after having his passion taken from him. May he rest in peace.

9. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sad day....really?

10. Double Creek

Double Creek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He is a legend, but he didnt have anything taken from him. He was complacent in child molestation and was removed as a result. You can paint it any way you want to. Joe Pa was wrong and most definitely will have a tarnished legacy. And rightly so.

11. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder if the same people that are calling him a "legend" and it's a "sad day" would have the same comments if it were their children that were molested......The man, well not a man, because no man would let that happen.... he was one sick individual if you ask me!

12. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. The man chose to protect the football program and him self rather than the kids.

i would think that if he had came clean with it Penn state would have found some way to fire him.

13. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Weird...im with you on this one.

EVERYONE is loving JoePa right now.

I think hes a dirty old man.

14. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sad for some, happy for others...even though he is famous death is still the same...people rejoice, people mourn and life goes on.

15. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, we should forget everything positive he did.

Just wait until the rest of the story in state college comes out. There will be more heads rolling, including some elected officials. I know some do not want to believe that it's much bigger than Joe, but it is. Let the man rest.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  16. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im sure it is way bigger and involves many higher ups........another reason he kept his mouth shut.

17. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    McQuerry, the eye witness, reported a boy being fondled by Sandusky to Paterno. Paterno passed McQuerry on to Atheletic Director, Vice President, and someone else at the university. Anything Paterno says other than exactly what McQuerry told him is hearsay and not admissible in court. Did the higher ups tell Paterno it was taken care of? I doubt we'll ever know. By McQuerry not calling the police immediately, the victim is no longer present and it became an issue of McQuerrys’ word against Sanduskys’. Did the higher ups fail by not reporting it? Yes, but once again, without the victim or evidence, it’s one persons’ word against another’s’. Did Paterno make an effort to write down when McQuerry said something to him to follow up on it? Probably not. Did a family friend really tell McQuerry (as he claims) that he had no legal responsibility to report the incident to the police since he told Paterno? I doubt it. McQuerry's story seems to change every time he relates what happened. He told one investigator he saw the boy and "an adults arm pull him back into the shower stall" and later saw Sandusky exit the shower with a towel around him. He later told someone else, he saw Sandusky anally raping the boy and stopped it. At the time of the rape, McQuerry had a moral, if not legal obligation to stop whatever was going on, call the police and protect the boy until the police arrived. He did not, he stayed with the program for all those years afterwards, and then 9 years later brought it out in the open. There is more to the truth of this than what we know. If you saw a child being raped at your place of work and your bosses did nothing about it, would YOU be quiet for 9 years and continue to work there? McQuerry is trying to minimize his neglect. By now God has made his judgment on Paterno with nothing but the facts.

18. quiksilver

quiksilver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Even though I knew this news was coming, I shut the gameroom door, lit the fireplace, and cried like a baby this morning.

RIP, Coach.

Not sure if any of you guys got to listen to Coach K this morning on the Mothership, but his tribute to Joe was one of the most moving interviews I've ever been privileged to listen to.

They just don't make people like that anymore.

19. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just hit it up on youtube. Agreed.

20. Scljrl

Scljrl Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For 40 years this guy was considered as stand-up and individual as ever was. 10 years ago, in my opinion, that all changed. i saw an interview with him a couple weeks ago, and he stated, "he just didn't know what to do". Huh???

Unfortunately this is really going to affect how most see him. he did a lot of great things, but failed at something that should have been a slam dunk.