Exercise & Fitness Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by rybo, Aug 3, 2010.

1. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I figured since we have a pretty good crew of guys who run, bike, swim, lift etc, might as well see if talking it up in one thread works out.
    So have at it, whether its exercising to just keep up with your kids, or if you are working towards an Ironman or an ultramarathon, lets hear what you do and why, races, events you plan to do, etc.

As for me I am planning to run the marathon next spring here in Pittsburgh. Barring injury or an exceptionally snowy winter, my plans are to train for it all winter. If something happens I can always drop down and run the half again.

Right now I am 170 +/- and its a good weight for me. I still do some body weight resistance exercises & yoga to maintain some strength & definition, but hte majority of my exercise is running/hiking.

I've also started transitioning over to barefoot running in the vibram shoes. Its gone very well for me. If it keeps up I may run a whole 5k in them this fall.

2. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got two more triathlons scheduled, this year (8/22 and 9/19). But, I'm training mostly for a half marathon (10/3).

Just did my first run over 9mi., Saturday....running 11mi.. That was my first 30+mi. wk.....and July was my 1st 100+ (little over 108)mi. month. Looking for 120mi. in August.

NO marathon aspirations. NO ironman aspirations. "Maybe" a half ironman in 2011.

3. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Started in March at 257 lbs. For a month I ran a mile three times a week before work and mixed in two 10 mile bike rides. After that, averaged 40-45 miles a week on the bike in three sessions. I am currently at 227 lbs. Plan to ride when I can in season and work some lifting in this winter then hit the bike hard in the spring and then see where I am at.

4. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Spent the last year and a half dropping weight, finally down from over 250 to about 205. I run 4-5 times a week, and do some videos as well. I will run some 5k's but the goal is to do a half and then a full marathon. I really just wanted to get back to a lean build so I could lift again and try to remain a good (maintainable) size for the rest of my life. This last year has lead me on a great journey as far as "diet" is concerned. I am just starting to get a grasp on what we should/should not eat and WHEN to eat it. Nice thread, and I hope some eating habits are shared as well.

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ben and Michael--good work!

Rybo--pretty cool you posted this thread. I was just running tonight and thought of it myself.

I was up to 227 pounds last spring and I am down to around 215 currently. I was sick with Mono in the months of May and June of this year so my fitness levels dropped. Well I made a good comback in July and have begun distance running for the first time in years. I actually took GMMAT's advice and slow jogged for around 35 minutes tonight. My 35 year old quads are now in the process of rotting off because they are so swollen. I am hurting. Some short term goals of mine are to be able to do 50 push-ups in a row and a 2 mile run in 16 minutes by September 1.

6. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fitness and nutrition is a lifestyle for my family. I have no goals other than to be in good shape and healthy...whatever that means. I just like to take care of myself. I don't know any other way. I've been between 160-165 for about 13 years. It doesn't vary much.

I currently do circuit style weights. Full body a couple times a week. I play basketball 1-2 times a week and mix in some running when I can.

theback4 likes this.
  7. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Brett:

THE reason to run slower.....is to allow you to run, more.

IF your goal is to run fast. You need to run fast - "some", also. The problem with this is, IF your fitness level isn't up to par, your risk for injury goes up, exponentially.

If you run more.....you'll get faster. You just have to trust that. I'm also seeing some cross-over. My biking volume hasn't gone up, since I started running more (I just don't have the time). But, I haven't lost a thing. In fact, I did my fastest 33mi. ride, ever, Sunday. And, I wasn't pushing it by any stretch. My HR never saw higher than 151 in 33+mi., yet I was faster/mi. by nearly a mph.

Honestly, unless you're running 20+mi./wk, I wouldn't be doing any runs at a high exertion level.

Just my .02.

8. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, I got you buddy. I am going to mix in those slower, longer runs twice a week. I actually enjoyed the run tonight mentally. I relaxed and ran in the dark and had a good time meditating as I sweated. I am only going to do one fast run per week until my fitness levels come up. I am sure the longer runs will positively effect my weight loss. I still dislike you because my quads feel like jello. :)

9. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So...your legs hurt - when you run longer than usual? Imagine!....lol

That'll get better, too (the more you run). The 1st time I went 8mi. I had to take an ice bath. If you can stand them, they're wonderful.

10. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My goals and motivation for being in shape is solely due to various events coming up in my life. For instance, this year I had the added motivation to remain in shape due to engagement photos, float trips, my wedding, my trip to Colorado for elk hunting..etc. I use these events in my life as my motivation to go to our gym(my friends and I built a gym out of a vacant garage). I have always been active in sports (baseball, X-country, track, basketball, golf, softball, sand volleyball, and lifting.) For the past 6 years I have been in the gym at least 4 times a week and usually 5-6 days. I try to do a mix bag of heavy lifting, P90X, and running. I love mixing it up to keep things interesting. After I got away from sitting behind a desk for 9 hours a day, I've been able to tighten up my body considerably. I currently weigh 200lbs, lug around 17 3/4 inch arms, max bench is 305lbs (I hate bench btw) and consistently do 25 pull ups multiple times a workout. I'm probably not in the best shape of my life due to being an ex-cross country runner but I definitely look a lot better!

11. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't taken an ice bath since 1997! LOL. I tell you what, they used to save my rear end in the summer, between two a day practices in the hellville heat. I might start giving them a go to reduce some of the swelling in my joints.

12. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I currently don't have any races I'm really training for. I had planned on running a trail marathon in November, but since it will only be 4 weeks after my wedding, I'm probably going to have to bump that down to the half. I'll just have too much going on during the most crucial training periods. I just don't think I'll be in the shape I want to be in November.

There are also a few other trail races, ranging between 10 and 18 miles, that I run every winter. I still plan on running those as well.

At the moment, my weekly workout is as follows:
    Monday: Cross training (lots of plyometrics, calisthenics, etc.)
    Tuesday: Sprints - 2 mile warm up, 6-8 1/4 mile sprints, 1 mile cool down
    Wednesday: Cross training (lots of plyometrics, calisthenics, etc.)
    Thursday: Tempo - 5-6 miles
    Friday: OFF
    Saturday: Long run - 8-12 miles
    Sunday: Barefoot run - 2-3 miles

As I've said before, my ultimate goal is to run the Leadville 100 ultramarathon before I'm 35. Next year I plan on really stepping up my training and running a few 50ks in Arkansas, and hopefully my first 50 miler within a few years.

I stay in shape mostly for my health, but it's fun to have a goal and to push yourself towards that goal. I'm always looking to see how I can challenge my body.

13. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 more triathlon's scheduled for this season. A sprint on 8/14 and an olympic on 9/11. I will also do atleast 3 more 5k's.

As for next season I am still working on that schedule but hte way it is looking right now I will be doing the Half Ironman in Disney in May, Half Ironman Racine, WI in July and Half Ironman Austin, Tx in October.

I am in the process of looking to hire a choach so I am not sure what my training schedule will look like over the next few weeks as it is sure to change.

14. Hoyt 'N' It

Hoyt 'N' It Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    good for all of you. I use to be a workout freak, ran and lifted weights. With my schedule and my wife's schedule and the two little ones it's hard for me to get back into that routine. The best time for me is in the morning before work but i'm usually dead tired. I'll get back in my routine one of these days, I definantly don't like lifting heavy anymore, just maintain good physique and cardiovasular wise! good post!

15. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm glad to see this got a lot of attention.

Even though I've started running races and have the marathon goal next spring, I run much more to just stay physically fit than anything. I've always been active running, lifting & sports, but as I've aged, the running is coming more & more naturally. Plus I figure I will be able to hunt out west a lot longer the better shape I am in when I get "old".

16. BEAR09

BEAR09 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent thread!

I do various cardio workouts 4-6 times per week and I lift 3-4 times per week. I also canoe and kayak when I can. I love to hit the trails whenever I have the chance.

C

17. Hoyt 'N' It

Hoyt 'N' It Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    good point, being in shape only helps us hunters when you need to walk that extra distance to your stand without passing out or sweating too much. And like you said if your one who goes or might be going on a hunt in a higher elevation, you need to be in good shape so your body can handle the oxygen difference, pressure and so forth.

18. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last year my Dad and I went backpacking in the Gila Wilderness Area in SW New Mexico in search for the merriam turkey. We hiked roughly 5 miles in with 65lb packs through some steep climbs, and we both faced fatigue issues, but both were completely different.

I'm a runner with a fairly decent lung capacity, so I had no problem breathing. My Dad however, had to stop every 5 minutes to catch his breath. My problem was my thighs. On those steep climbs, my thighs were screaming at me. My Dad though did not have any problems with his thighs because he on his stair master for 4 hours a day.

So my advice for anyone looking to go into the backcountry, run bleachers with a 25lb pack.

19. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After going back to school I found myself needing the gym back in my life. Somehow I got back into heavy, heavy weight training, damn addiction:( All the weight I lost in my gut has been replaced by upper body muscle, so I haven't lost much weight:(

I have been doing a half hour to hour of cardio at 3.5-3.7mph with a 7-15 degree incline to keep my walking skills alive for this season. My waist has slowly dropped from a lifetime high of 46" down to around 38-40". I plan to be between 36-38" for hunting season which will be a nice change from the last four years of hunting, I will also have better dragging ability;)

20. Chris Miles

Chris Miles Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been puting 80 to 85 miles a week on my bike. Lots of hills where you are standing up on the peds. Great cardio and really gives the hams and quads a good workout. Lifted weights all of my adult life, just something I like to do. Needed to drop some belly fat so the bike has been a good answer for that. Plus I'm a construction worker.