what is the correct arrow weight

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by remist17, Sep 19, 2016.

1. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I am new at archery. I have a older compound bow and I went and purchased some new arrows for it. I bought gold tip XT hunters. The person helping size the arrows left me with zero confidence that they are the correct weight.
    Can someone advise what the proper arrow weight would be for a person pulling a 30" draw, 60#? I guess I also need to know if the XT hunters I bought are the correct ones. I found the spline deflection for my draw length and weight is .330-.370". Can you tell me a little about this?

2. Parkerg31

Parkerg31 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So the weight your talking about is actually arrow spine. The lower the number the stiffer the arrow. It sounds to me like it is close. You can go to the gold tip or Easton website and follow the charts with your specs and it will tell you the correct spine for your arrows. Arrow weight is in grains. Most people prefer a 400 grains or above for good penetration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    400 or 340 and no L ( spine) lol

4. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMO with your draw I'd say 340's would be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome remist. He may not have been as far off as you think. Starting out, you're looking at weight in grains. You'll learn, you need weight in spine and grains.
    Arrow companies measure spine in .XXX and weight in X.X grains / inch
    The .330 - .370 you found is the spine of the arrow. The lower the number, the stiffer the shaft. There's not true correlation between spine and weight. A lot of arrow companies will make many weights in one spine to offer shooters the ability to dial in their bows and setups. Based on your setup, you're right on the line, but it's typically better to be stiffer than you need to be, rather than not as stiff. It's just easier to tune. Therefore, the .330 - .370 you found should work. You'll find thousands of options in this range, literally.
    Next is the actual weight of the arrow. With a 30" draw, you'll most likely go with a 29" arrow. Quite obviously the heavier the arrow, the slower it will travel. However, in many cases, the slower arrow will penetrate deeper than the lighter arrow. There is a huge debate on which is better and you'll never be able to convince the other party. My opinion is to go the middle of the road. I like the idea of speed, but I know an arrow that is too light won't pack a good punch. However, I don't want it going so slow it takes 20 minutes to get to the animal.

It sounds like you have a pretty good setup in what you have. Do you know the spine of the XT hunters?

6. remist17

remist17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I took a photo of the arrow it says the following:
    XT Hunter 7595/340

I was incorrect on my draw length, it is 29" and pulling 60#.

7. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you are shooting an older compound that is 60# at 29", the 340's may be a bit stiff. To give you a comparison, I am shooting a touch under 60# at 29" from a 2015 Prime Rival with Easton Axis 340's, but have also shot Axis 400's extensively. The 400's are lighter in spine and grain weight, but do not fly as well with a fixed broadhead as the 340's. You are definitely on the safe side with the 340's, but it will depend upon the design and efficiency of your older bow whether they are the best for your setup. Arrows are the disposable part of the archery equation, so shoot them and learn.....then decide what the next one will be from your learning curve. By then you will likely have a hankering for a different bow anyway and start the process over.......8^)