Way left

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by iaminimical, Jul 8, 2016.

1. iaminimical

iaminimical Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I recently received my first compund bow from a family friend. The bow came with a sight that I have been attempting to sight in but I've been encountering one problem. I keep shooting left. I can adjust for height no problem but can't bring the sight over left anymore. If I aim the sight to the right of the target I will hit dead center every time but if I aim with the sight on the target I'm way over left. Any ideas on what it could be that's giving me this problem?

2. mikerock85

mikerock85 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Adjust the site left to pull the shot right...

3. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you're still shooting to the left even after adjustments, it may not be the sight. Make sure to follow through on the shot and keep your release hand at your anchor point after the release. It sounds like you may be pulling away or peeking to watch your shot. Also make sure the crease of your bow holding arm (left arm) is vertical and not angled or facing upward. Practice form and shoot the target from 10 feet over and over. Once you have form down, then worry about fine tuning your sight and tuning the bow.

4. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure you aren't canting the bow. Does sight have a level?

5. iaminimical

iaminimical Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The sight doesn't have a level on it. Also I'm more comfortable with shooting a recurve so would any habits from that transfer over to this negatively. I try to use the same shooting form with this bow as my other.

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are you using your fingers/tab or a release? You may be pulling the string to the right after the shot which then aims the bow to the left. If you're shooting to the left, you have to move the sight to the left, is it possible you moved it the wrong way? I'm not sure what your traditional bow setup is or what your experience is so I apologize, I'm not trying to patronize you.

7. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    is your rest set up properly? may have to be moved.

8. iaminimical

iaminimical Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm probably only about a month and a half into all this so I'm very new so don't worry about stating the obvious to me I appreciate it and I'm using a three finger glove when I shoot. Also I've tried moving the sight pins out to the left as far as possible and will land a good 4 to 5 inches left of the target when I aim dead on. So it is certainly possible that I'm doing something odd with the string when I release.

9. iaminimical

iaminimical Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How would I know if the rest has been moved?

10. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I actually use a 3 finger fur tab release so I'm not a trigger release guy either! There's very few of us left haha. I wonder if your finger glove is catching on the string. Is it leather? Maybe try a finger tab made out of fur which will allow the string to slide off better. It could just be a difference in the material of the string from your traditional bow. I use something like this:

[​IMG]

11. iaminimical

iaminimical Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen those at my local store may try picking one up. But I do use a leather glove for shooting normally. You think it may be a smart idea to shoot without anything a couple shots and see the difference?

12. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    may be your grip as well. I used to have a similar problem. the local pro shop has my rest a bit to the right off center and I had to change my grip. I now have a more open grip w/ the back for the bow grip on the thick part of my thumb bone / muscle. Since I switched my grip I can now paper tune perfectly and no longer have that problem.

13. iaminimical

iaminimical Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well I will be trying all these things once I'm home today and see if I can make any improvement.

14. iaminimical

iaminimical Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Also this was a bow given to me from another person. Would it be smart to go to a pro shop and have them set it up?

15. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If it's not your rest (Centershot) you could be throwing your arm out. Never keep your hand by face after shot, the only way to do so is by popping your fingers from string. You should be pushing your elbow back n applying back tension. Than for a finger shooter roll your fingers from string. Your string hand winds up on shoulder because of the back tension.
    Your grip needs to be angled on the handle, no Kung fu grip. Take your pinky n ring finger n bend them like a fist. Now place your web on the handle n your hand will be angled from grip. Bow hand elbow never straight down but down n left, don't hyper extend elbow or wrist n you'll hit nothing causing left errant shots.
    If none of these are the prob it could be a cam or something needing pro shop attn.

16. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, does it fit you? It's not likely, hopefully they can adjust. You need it to fit to achieve proper anchor n back tension. Get an instructor, not a friend unless he truly understands archery to show you

17. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, needs to be fitted for you, it could be as simple as an incorrect draw length. But, in addition I would seriously consider trying a finger tab rather than the glove. I'm guessing the glove is catching or you're plucking the string or peeking to see the shot. Get it setup for your draw length and then I'd start with the finger tab and worry about form first and see how it goes. Once you have that down, then worry about the actual sights.

In fact, a good archery shop is the best place to have them help you with all that if they're half decent.

18. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot recurves for over 30 years with a finger tab, but the string angle on a modern compound is typically too extreme due to the shorter length to handle a finger release very well. Thus it may be almost phycially impossible to achieve what you are trying to do with good form and require a mechanical release.

In regards to your rest, many bows start with the rest about 13/16" from the inside of the riser. Nock an arrow and put a mark in the exact center of the top of the shaft (I use a silver Sharpie), then measure from the inside of the riser to that mark. You can also look at your arrow in comparison to a stabilizer and see if it runs down the center of the stab, to the left or to the right as it extends outward. Moving the arrow slightly to the left, as in 1/16-1/8 inch will change your impact and sight position quite a bit.