Speed

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by PaWooodsMan, Feb 12, 2017.

1. PaWooodsMan

PaWooodsMan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys im new to the site and relatively new to archery. I went all out and bought the HTR about a year ago and i love it. But my buddies friend keeps tellin me its too slow and all that. I personally dont care about the speed because its pretty quiet. Im pullin like 53 lbs and my draw is, im pretty sure, 26.5? Im like 5'7 if that helps. Just seein what you guys think. Thanks. Hope i didnt tick anyone off puttin this in tech talk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. swh5536

swh5536 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I get 290 feet per second out of my htx but that is 70 pound drawweight 28 1/2 inch draw length 370 grain arrows

3. plc613

plc613 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I get the impression you agree with your buddies since your posting this. It's very hard to get high speeds out of a short draw but either way accuracy trumps all. You have to pull what you're comfortable pulling. That's rule #1. Second to that, speed isn't everything. If your shots are relatively short the difference between 250 and 300 is actually negligible if you could sider the shot is only a fraction of a second under 40 yards.

The only thing speed truly buys you is a flatter trajectory which helps in yardage mistakes. If you have a rangefinder that's a moot point to!

Shoot the draw you're most comfortable with and let your buddies rip their shoulders out... You can't be accurate when your in pain!

4. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my pull weight is about the same, 55# +/- with a 28 inch pull and am getting 270 FPS with a 396 grain arrow/broadhead, 290 with a 348 grain arrow/broadhead , and 240 FPS with a 500 grain arrow/broadhead. all measured with a chronograph. what weight arrow are you shooting?

joep likes this.
  5. PaWooodsMan

PaWooodsMan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure but my box of arrows says 500 spine at 6.5 gpi i dont know too much about arrows themselves but the guy at the local shop's been slowly teachin me as im still new to archery

6. v3505

v3505 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My feeling is that today's technology is so much better than previous generations. Don't worry so much about speed. They make arrows that flex better, fly faster and hit harder. Just do your research and read up because arrows can get expensive in a hurry.

7. plc613

plc613 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mean this in any other way but to help you; I don't think you know enough about your equipment to have this discussion.

You should first own the responsibility of researching and knowing your specs and goals. Then with the help of your local shop and forums like this you can make educated decisions based on your goals.

There's too much "I think but I'm not sure" in what you're saying. You said you weren't sure about your arrow length: go get a tape measure, take the field point off and measure from the insert to the throat (deep part) of the nock. That's your arrow length. If you're not sure about the arrow specs, all the details are printed on the shaft itself. If you're still unsure, post a picture and we'll tell you.

Most importantly, ask tons of questions. Don't make assumptions.

8. plc613

plc613 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    BTW nevermind the box, the guy at the shop could have grabbed just any box and put your arrows in it. Check the shaft itself.

9. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to have an HTR and it's a great bow. And very accurate. Probably the easiest tuning bow I've ever seen. If the draw cycle is smooth and it fits you, then that's your bow.

I try to tell people don't settle on a weight that you can easily pull 5-6 times no sweat and go hunt. When you hunt you may draw once or none. Settle on a weight that allows you to draw 30 or so times a day for practicing to be a better shot without getting fatigued. Who knows, you draw 53# 30 times a day and one of two things will definitely happen 1) 53# will become super easy and you'll display Levi Morgan form or 2) 60# may be more to your liking.

For reference even though I'm a CPA I had an athletic scholarship to college and a kickboxer that switched to MMA in the early days. I'm a gym rat and weigh 230 but have a 31" waist. My bow is set on 57#. In the last two years I've went from 82-->72-->61 and now 57. Ask me how many craps I give when someone says, "Big guy like you should be shooting a lot more weight." Maybe someone has thought that but I've never had anyone say it because most people can't just look at your bow and tell what weight limbs you have. If they know the limb weight they might be able to look at how many turns in or out a gauge the weight.

Now if I shoot my daily 30 arrows and I notice a hiccup, I can easily shoot 75+ and try to work it out. If your fatigued and keep shooting you'll compound more bad habits on top of that hiccup. I love my Harley, sportbike people call it slow. 85mph can kill me and it'll do more than that.

10. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

11. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Put the arrow in the right spot and the animal will die. I saw a video earlier today with a kid drawing 35lbs and shot a doe with no problem. It's our male ego that wants to always have something better than the next guy. Your HTR is just fine. Put 3 arrows in a quarter size hole next time shooting and brag about that.

12. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Accuracy beats speed every single time.Theres a reason most competition shooters don't shoot 70 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

13. ppkaprince98

ppkaprince98 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That bow is fairly slow compared to other flagships, however with a short draw and low poundage you won't get much speed out of any bow. As said above just focus on shot placement!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk