Question for you....

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ACJ, Jan 11, 2017.

1. ACJ

ACJ Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What constitutes the draw weight of a compound bow?
    I need rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder, had it done to my right and will probably need it again soon after the left.
    I have a 70-80# pull now and would like to change it to something lighter, that won't cause too much pain.

Thanks for your help,
    ACJ

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well as one who has a torn rotator cuff and labrum... 70 - 80#'s isn't going to work out well for your shoulders. (may have helped to destroy yours, as it did to mine, according to my Doc) Now is a great time of the year to be looking for a new bow as the new models are coming out and there are some great deals on last years models. If I were you, I would be looking for a bow in the 60# range. You may not be able to shoot for several months after surgery but when you can get back at it, that's where I would want to be. Go through ALL of the rehab and do everything that you physical therapist tells you to do.

Good luck.

3. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had the right one done and the left one needs it. Long as I keep my elbows close to my side, no problem. Get them out away from the body and it goes down hill fast. I lowered a compound from 60 to 45, the lowest it would go. Was good for one pull and left it back in, no release. Week later I was going to practice with it and could not hold it up at full draw. When your Dr. says it is OK drop the pull down as far as it will go and try it. Hopefully it will work for you but it didn't for me. I sold the compound 2 hours after I listed it and bought a Crossbow. (Go ahead and laugh) Best move I ever made in the bow area. 150 lb, 300+ fps. and didn't mortgage the property to buy it either.