Peep Sight

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ms_bowhunter30, Aug 4, 2011.

1. ms_bowhunter30

ms_bowhunter30 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You will have to forgive me, I am kinda new to bowhunting and dont really know all the proper terminology. I shoot a Mathews Outback and recently began having problems with my peep sight. I have the peep sight with the rubber tube attached. First the tube kept coming off. I kept putting it back on and then my sight popped out of the string. I took it to the pro shop and had it put back in. After I got home, I shot about 10 times and the same thing. The sight popped out again. What could be causing this and what can be done to fix it?

2. srtiek

srtiek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    just my personal choice i would ditch the tube peep and go for a fixed one. reason i chose a fixed one is because of the problems with the tube ones you described

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The first issue with your peep tubing coming off certainly isn't uncommon. As the tubing wears out it stretches, which can cause your problem. Simply replacing the tubing, which is pretty inexpensive, should fix that.

Your second issue is a little more concerning. If your peep sight is tied in properly it really shouldn't ever come out of your string. I can see it wearing out over time and maybe loosening up to cause the first occurance, but any reputible shop should be able to tie in a peep with no problem and prevent it from happening again. Personally speaking, I would try taking your bow to another shop to have it looked over from top to bottom just to make sure nothing is wrong with it. If everything checks out have them re-tie the peep in again and see how things go.

4. tek4life

tek4life Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with justin 100%
    Not only is it very uncommon for a peep to come out since that is really bow setup 101. But it is also very dangerous. as the peep comes out it has the chance of flying anywhere and to top it off with a tube peep its hooked to your bow and can come back at you. But my biggest concern would be string wear at the peeps location. If its moving around its possible to be cutting strands as it comes out. Take your bow to another shop and have it looked over. Bowstrings and cables are not something to take a chance with.

5. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a peep that uses a tube. The only problem I ever encounter is the surgical tubing dryrots or strectches right where it connects to the peep. If you look close and have not changed it in a while you can see the cracks in it. I always have an extra 2 or 3 pieces of tubing cut at the right length on hand. I switch them out about once a month, but I also shoot alot.

One other thing to watch for is if your tubing is too long it can get wrapped around parts of the bow. If you don't notice it and come to full draw the pressure is greatly increased on the peep and that could be leading to your problem. This happened once to me on my Z7. The tubing was a little too long and wrapped around the top rubber stop that comes off the limb. It didn't pull out the the peep but it did slide it up the string. Just watch for this too.

6. ms_bowhunter30

ms_bowhunter30 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input. Think I am going to go with srtiek's recommendation and go with a fixed one

7. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you get rid of the tube by going to a fixed peep just beware that the Zebra/Barracuda strings are notorious for creeping and having problems with peep alignment. The first thing I do with any Mathews is get rid of the factory string and replace it with something higher quality/ more stable.

8. srtiek

srtiek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    this is true. i do have to manually align my peep every now and then but not so much as when i got the bow new. i should get rid of that string

9. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get a g5 meta peep with a new that string

10. bowhuntjoe

bowhuntjoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if the peep tubing is to short it will pull on the peep sight & possibly pull it straight out of the sting when you release.
    I would make sure it is tied in well & take the tubing off completely.

If I were you, I would get a small portable bow press & do everything yourself. its very easy & dose not take more than 10min of reading on Google how to do things. Taking your bow to a shop every time a little thing goes wrong is kinda a waste of time :)

11. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    bump
    Meta Peep tied in correctly is the way to go. I also align my loop on my string with my peep (and save the tag ends of the loop and instead of cutting them of, I tie them in as well to make sure I never have a problem with my loop allowing my peep to rotate as happens sometimes. That's why there is a tube attached to your peep in the first place. Choose peep size by making sure it frames your sight window at full draw. That's the same principle as a rifle scope... kinda