Illuminated Nocks

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by weedwacker, Jul 23, 2009.

1. weedwacker

weedwacker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody use Lumenoks or the like? Wondering how you like them, how well they work. I'm shooting CE Maxima Hunter arrows, but they have transparent nocks and are difficult to follow for me. Didn't know what brands would be compatible with those arrows...

2. mudnation 1

mudnation 1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    bought the cheap ones from walmart last week I shot three times and they only lit up on impact and then not at all on fourth shot. Sent them back yesterday.

3. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think they are pretty cool. (Check your state regulations).

I always hunted with Easton ACC's and no one makes lighted nocks for them unless you remove the factory nock unibushing which I did not want to do.

Last year I hunted with Easton XX78 SuperSlams and I hunted with a Easton Tracer nock (except IL). I thought it was cool even though my shot was only about 8 yards, the nock lit and I found the deer with the arrow sticking up blinking.

Here's a tutorial I did on the Easton Tracer Nock.

Easton Tracer Nock Video:

:cool:

4. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I like the idea of them but have not bought any. I have a buddy that bought some after season last year and practiced with them. He really seems to like them. I wouldn't be opposed yo using them but more money then I'm willing to spend right now. So I use bright colored vanes and wraps. :tu:

5. PA-BOW-MAN

PA-BOW-MAN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used them but noticed that I was getting into a bad habit. I was peaking to watch the arrow fly and ended up missing a few deer before I realized it. If you can control yourself they are a great feature. I think FOBS would be a good idea too, they would just fall of on pass through and show you exact impact location.

6. Countryboy95

Countryboy95 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    FOB's are maybe what I'll be shooting next year, only problem is I'll have to replace my capture rest :(

7. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had a friend that tried them a few years ago and they all had 100% failure rate within 3 shots. I don't really like the idea of turning a $20 arrow into a $30 arrow, putting weight on the wrong end of the shaft and not knowing if they are even going to work.

You can buy brighter nocks for those arrows by CE or even the Easton Super Uni-nocks fit them.

8. konrad

konrad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    $10 bucks a pop, nock impacts during practice, change in point of balance and watching arrow flight instead of maintaining form (follow through)…no thanks.

9. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used the Lumenocks for years, Great tool, never lost an arrow because of them. Thats important because the arrow can tell the tale of the shot. They also help me in tuning my arrow to my bow! You obviously don't need a dozen of them. In my experience the difference in grams between a regular nock and a lighted nock is minimal at best. There are all kinds of them now a days, don't know which is better. I switched to classic index nocks so they are out of the equation for me, now I use feather tracers!

10. NRK9606

NRK9606 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think I am going to invest in some of them this year for the first time. I think my roomate and I are going to try and film a few hunts and I think those nocks are the best when it comes to watching the arrow in flight on film.

11. oklabowhunter

oklabowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    nocks

I have shot the lumenoks in the past on the same arrows you are shooting, with marginal results as far as them lighting every time. Carbon Express recently came out with their own called Laser Eye I believe. They work a little differently than the Lumenoks. The lumenok had to make contact with the bulldog collars on a spot that had bare metal exposed, so you had to lightly sand the red off the top of the collar. The CE Laser Eye works differently. It actually has a weighted switch that shifts with inertia and does not have to make contact with the collar to form the switch. We will see how they work.

12. Big Lefty

Big Lefty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't use lighted nocks for deer, but I do shoot them during turkey season. In my experience the Tracers are 100x more reliable than the Lumanoks. Lumanoks do have good customer service, but I got tired of mailing the nocks back every tenth shot.

13. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  14. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Ive only tried luminocks and like them but they sometimes dont work again after getting bloody. :rolleyes:

15. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gotta give props for the Firenocks as well www.firenock.com

I used them last year during hunting season and had 100% sucess rate with them lighting up very shot with the Maxima Hunter and Aramid KV Arrows with the Bull Dog Collars.

16. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lady Forge,

I see they have them listed for ACC's. Now are they referring to the arrow with the ACC unibushing removed? The ACC takes a G nock. I'm assuming they are removing the unibushing?

17. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rob;
    I see they have them listed for ACC's. Now are they referring to the arrow with the ACC unibushing removed? The ACC takes a G nock. I'm assuming they are removing the unibushing?

Rob here is what I was able to find

No Firenock can work properly when a Uni-Bushing is installed. All Firenock systems require multiple contact points on the inside wall of the arrow shaft. The Uni-Bushing system makes the multiple contact points impossible to achieve. If an arrow has a Uni-Bushing installed, the Uni-Bushing will need to be removed in order for the Firenock to work properly. Some people have tried to glue the circuit into the nock so that it would work in aluminum arrows, but the performance and results have been marginal at best. Thus we do not recommend that a Firenock system be installed in ANY arrow that has a Uni-Bushing system installed.

Firenock "E" style nock is what is needed to fit the A/C/C Pro Hunter arrow. A/C/C Pro Hunter all have an ID of 0.227"and an OD of 0.270", 0.275", 0.280, and 0.285" for 440, 390, 340 and 300 size respectively. With the factory uni-bushing installed, it is very easy to think that a Firenock "A" style will fit as the Easton "X" nock is about the same size. This is not the case, in order for Firenock to work properly, the Firenock unit must make no less than 3 full circumference contacts with the inside wall of the arrow shaft. The presence of a Uni-bushing makes it impossible for Firenock to work properly. The circuit will fly out from the nock when shot at any object; the entire unit will also not be able spin balance inside the shaft. These are the only immediate issues that had been observed. Therefore in order to use Firenock in the A/C/C Pro Hunters, the uni-bushing must be removed. Since the uni-bushing used in the Pro-Hunter is glued in with very strong black glue, forcing it out is close to impossible, and heating the shaft will cause separating of the aluminum from the carbon layer. This leads to the only obvious solution, to cut it out. After the X nock is removed, cut the shaft at 0.375"; or 0.9" including the nock. The uni-bushing from the very tip to where it ends is ~0.325" or ~0.260" sleeve with a ~0.070" collar, and the X nock is ~0.63". Square the shaft and your ACC Pro Hunter shaft is ready to accept a Firenock "E" nock. Please note that there may be a tiny bit of polycarbonate to shave off from the shaft when you push in the Firenock "E" style nock the very first time, this is normal and part of the "E" nock's multi-diameter/size fit design.

Firenock “G” series fit Easton A/C/C 3-60/340 arrows?
    With minor modification, the Firenock "GS" series nocks will fit Easton A/C/C 3-60/340 arrows. Use a razor blade and shave off the 8 ridges on the nock cylinder. By shaving these ridges off, you will reduce the Outer Diameter (OD) of the nock to 0.2405" which would allow the Firenock to make better contact with the interior wall of the arrow shaft.

Firenock “G” series fit Easton A/C/C 3-49/390, 3-39/440 and 3-28/500 and Epic/Excel arrows?
    To fit a lighted nock inside any shaft, the presence of uni-bushing will be detrimental to the arrow flight. There one must remove the uni-bushing and fit the nock inside the arrow tubing. After the tests, we concluded that Firenock 'E' style nock can fit all the following sizes with no, or some modifications. Firenock 'E' style design is based on an oversized Firenock "A" style mould which has a cylinder of 0.2047". Now with the 12 ridges being 0.0129" high each, it can easily be shaved to fit. Size as follows:
    Epic/Excel has an inside diameter of 0.232" or 5.92mm => No modification
    A/C/C 3-49/390 has an inside diameter of 0.230" or 5.86mm => No modification
    A/C/C 3-39/440 has an inside diameter of 0.220" or 5.56mm =>Need to shave off half of al ridges to fit
    A/C/C 3-28/500 has an inside diameter of 0.205" or 5.21mm => Shave off all ridges to form a tube of 0.2055

18. mudnation 1

mudnation 1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just got a set of lumanoks for my birthday they work pretty good I shot an armadillo with one after dark last night all you could see is the nock running around the field it was awesome!

19. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I make my own... have had great success with them, too. The only problem is I keep making them and giving them away to bowhunting friends who love them equally as much.

There's nothing like watching a tracer go through the pumphouse of big ol' deer!

20. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just finished making my first two of this year... both work flawlessly.

$1.97 for the battery in each one of 'em, and it takes two nocks to make one... so maybe another .50 or so for the whole enchilada.... pretty darn economical considering they work as well as anything I've seen commercially on the market.