holding question/ sight in

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by nhbuck1, Dec 24, 2016.

1. nhbuck1

nhbuck1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    [h=2]n[/h]

when im at full draw when im aiming my pin always gets stuck alot lower the my target and i have to move my arm to bring the pin up, is this common? how can i correct this so my pin stays on target? also i have the apex covert pro sight and the tapes are not matching up with my sight in marks, 20 30 and 40 are good but when i got to 50 or 55 yards im hitting way low of the inteded target. thanks all merry christmas can loss of back tension do this as well?​

2. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So your having a hard time keeping your pin on target? Sound like you might have a little target panic.

3. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Definately target panic. I've had it for years and honestly the biggest thing that helped me was lowing my poundage and getting a bow that is smoother and has a little more let off that was I use too. Part of the reason why I like Mathews bows is because of the rock solid back wall.

I would try lowering your draw weight a few pounds and shoot from 10 yds and get comfortable holding the pin on a larger sized dot. This will help get your mind use to holding the pin on an actual dot or target instead of off target. Focus on a good squeeze of the trigger and following through. Do this for a week and then move back to 15 or 20 years.

If your arms start getting tired then quit for the day. When you get tired that is when you can get bad habits.

jcz likes this.
  4. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just draw back and look at the pin through that peep. make sure your bows sighted in it at 10yds. If you're consistent at 10yds. I'd recommend getting a renzo decoy and place it against your block chart. At 20yds. 3d targets help alot.

5. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Really sounds like target panic.. Lower the poundage, also, stand about 10 or 15 ft away from your target and close your eyes. Practice shooting that way for a while. Work on your form and the closing of your eyes is so you don't worry about aiming and just simply feel the shot. 95% of the shot is mental, once you get your muscles doing the same thing over and over, like drawing the bow, getting to your anchor point, relaxing to get the pin on the target, etc.. the rest is simply mental and all you need to concentrate on is the keeping the pin on the center of the target.

6. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I draw my bow above my shouldets rather than below. That way, my pins are already "high" and I bring them down onto the target.

7. trtodd13

trtodd13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to have the same problem. When my pin started low I usually got stuck low and that led me to develop target panic. I started drawing with my pin high like roadrunner suggests and it made a world of difference. Much easier to relax into your shot as the pin drops vs pulling your bow up to get the pin on target.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app