Budget for top shelf everything?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Rugger, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Rugger

Rugger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Going to be saving up for a new rig next year. This will be my first bow, have only borrowed it the past. Money is no object, but what should I expect to pay for the best of everything?

I know I know....shoot everything then pick what's best for you. However, let's hear some opinions on the cadillac of bows for the 2017 season! :hail:

2. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just built a bow along the lines of what you are saying. It was a college graduation present to myself for completing a EE degree in 3 years debt free and locking in a kick-butt first job ;) Here is what I went with:

2016 Halon 6 - $1099 (I believe)
    HHA King Pin - $349
    NAP Apache Rest - $80
    Tactacam Stabilizer - $289 (was present the previous Christmas)
    All Blue Harmonic Dampners, accesories, wrist strap ~ $60
    Mathews 4 arrow quiver - $129?
    Carbon Express Pile Driver Pass thru Xtremes w/ NAP quickfletchs ~$120

I elected not to get a custom string since I would be replaced it after a season or two and then i would get the blue string, had I customized that from the start it would have been another 120 bucks. I bought the arrows separately and built them myself. I got 10% off everything but the bow at Scheels and it totaled $1700 before gift cards. If you are going to do it, just get it done with and start shooting it and dont look at the price tag cause it does hurt ;)

Add the tactacam, arrows, and a new string and you are easily up to $2250 or more!

3. Riverduck11

Riverduck11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree you are looking at $1800 plus for all top of the line.

I finally splurged on a flagship bow 2 years ago. Only I bought a bow that was a carry over. Got it for $700 compared to $1100. I used the money I saved on a Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro Rest and a Spott Hogg sight. Just a thought. Lots of great bows made in 2016 that will be heavily discounted!

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have shot none of them...my opinion would carry a -.02 value. :biggrin:

5. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's because you bought land and new camera equipment, a lot better than a new Cadillac bow any day of the week in my opinion.....

6. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bam!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

7. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your first bow doesn't have to be the best of the best. Was your first car a fully loaded Cadillac fully loaded when you were 16? If so and you come that mold then have at it.. Good luck and enjoy your search.

8. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A top line bare bow will run you anywhere from $800-$1500. Top line accessories with arrows and broad heads could easily run you up to $800-$1200. Really just depends on what you decide on. The best is different for everyone. For instance if memory serves the Mathews Z3 is around $725. To me that is a pro-level top line bow. Not a flagship but seriously nice. You may find you like that one more than the $1000 Halon or the $1400 Hoyt Pro Defiant. You might like a fixed pin vs. a single pin rover, that would take you from the $250-$350 mark down to around the $100-$150 mark. Really a lot of preference goes in there. For me if I were to buy what I wanted New without searching around it would cost me around $1600. The next guy could easily be over $2000 and both bought top line stuff that just were different in brand or features. That being said the next 3 months are a gold mine for finding clearance blowouts. Lots of places that only carry archery stuff during the season then clear it. Be looking and it can save you a ton of money outfitting your bow.

9. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly would want like the Lexus of bows. Not a Cadillac. But actually more prefer trucks or crossovers. :tu:

10. chris0827

chris0827 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just a thought- so take it for what it's worth. Bow technology isn't exactly moving by leaps and bounds year over year anymore. Modern bows have become so advanced that improvements from one year to the next are measured in inches rather than feet. A top of the line bow today is still going to be a VERY good bow in 5 years... Lots of money to be saved by buying a 1-2 year old model...

11. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, he said money is no object - so I'll build him his bow :)

Mathews Monster Wake - $1700
    HHA King Pin - $350
    QAD Ultrarest MXT Lost Camo - $240
    Stokerized HD9 Stabilizer - $130
    Custom Dead Stop and harmonic dampeners $60
    X-Factor Wrist Sling - $15
    SKB Hybrid Bow Case $130
    12 Black Eagle Deep impact arrows - $140
    12 Clean Shot nocks - $100
    6 NAP Double Cross broadheads - $80
    12 NAP Quickfletch - $100
    Custom Bow String - $150
    Mathews Quiver - $150

Total: $3345

Still misses the big buck - Priceless ;)

12. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't forget about the Carter release!

13. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What good is owning a Lamborghini when it is so uncomfortable you can't stand driving it.

If money is no object blind test every bow they have in the draw length and weight you want. And pick what feels the best without knowing.

Best is what I'll have the best result with not what I'll pay the most for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. archer#5

archer#5 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Don't get yourself confused with thinking that top $$$$ items as being the best. There are a lot of bows and accessories out there that can be bought (total set-up) for less than $1200. You do not have to spend huge $$$$ to get a top of the line rig. For instance, micro-adjustable sights and rests are really nice but once you set them you will more than likely not mess with them unless you change something like arrows and or broadheads so why pay more money for something that is not necessary. Just my opinion but I have been known to be wrong once in a while. Just trying to save a brother bow hunter some cash.

15. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, cash being no option doesn't mean the highest sticker price across the board...just means you have the luxury of ignoring the cost of everything...open parameters like that man I'd be trying everything and simply take first preferred every single time. Some folks would be shocked to their thoughts if somehow could go in brandless and tagless of the stuff they're trying out.

frantic29 likes this.
  16. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not 100% sure I'm in the market this year or not, but if I am, I'm excited to try out a bunch of brands. It's been a while. Hoping I'm surprised. Makes it fun.

17. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't think the money stops at the bow and shooting accessories. (And yes I completely agree with the comment of more $$$ doesn't always mean the best equipment.) If you wanna walk around and say you spent the most money go ahead. Won't impress most people.

You still have all the gear to go with hunting. Clothes, blinds, tree stands, optics, decoys, and the list goes on. I would honestly say there is no limit to the amount of spending one can do in this sport. I'm glad someone doesn't have to worry about a spending budget for their gear but don't just throw $$$ at it to throw $$$ at it. Do yourself a favor and get what feels good to you and shoots well for you. Looking forward to hear how it goes.

18. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would also not get caught up in the Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech, PSE hype because they have been around a while and spend a bunch on advertising. Shoot a variety of bows and see what fits you and your shooting style. Prime, Elite, Obsession, Xpedition, etc have all been coming on strong the past several years and continue to narrow the perceived gap between the "big" bow companies. I have been shooting Prime bows since late in 2012 and have no plans to switch brands as their designs, fit and finish are top shelf. Once again, you can get lightly used 2016 models from the "buy 'em and try 'em" crowd of archery addicts for 50-60% of retail and that leaves a bunch for top end accessories.

19. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It really does come down to what fits you the best.

Mathews has been if not at, right near the top, for the most bows sold for a while. They are expensive true and lots of people love them. I can't shoot one for beans. The grip doesn't fit my hand and I haven't ever been able to get used to their draw cycle. My youngest son won't shoot anything but Mathews.

To me, that is where a lot of fun comes in when getting a new bow....... getting out and shooting a lot of different bows and then deciding if "THE" bow is worth spending that much money on.

I have "several" bows right now and all of them were bought brand new. When I went to New Zealand hunting a year ago, I could only take one bow and the one that I took was the one that I shoot the best and it also happens to be the one that I paid the least for. Go figure.