Broadhead tuning question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by killer chill-r, Jul 21, 2016.

1. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been trying to tune my Broadheads & can't seem to get them on. 100gr Ramcat's, Easton FMJ's 340 spine at 29 1/8" carbon to carbon. Field points group awesome can stack them at 40yrds. At 20yrds Ramcat's hit 3" right. Adjust rest, sight field point back in at 20yrds, shoot Ramcat, still hits 3" right. No matter how far you move the rest the Ramcat's always hit 3" right. Could this be a yoke tuning issue or what?

2. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Check for cam lean

Also could try to bring the field points toward the broadhead. Opposite of what you're doing now. Sometimes that works (not very often though).

3. killer chill-r

Dislikes Received:
    I'll give it a try, can't hurt. Just very irritating, especially since I'll be going out of town for 2 weeks on Sunday. This will just be hanging over my head.

4. killer chill-r

Dislikes Received:
    Y'all think I could have a spine issue? The reason is I picked up some cheap GT 400 spine arrows, shot a group grouped well at 20yrds. Stuck on a Ramcat & shot a few groups grouped well at 20yrds. To dark to stretch it to 40 but I'll do that tomorrow. The black arrows are 340 spine with a125gr head & the Reds show the group from the 400 spine. ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1469153015.893777.jpg ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1469153025.510259.jpg

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    What's your DW/DL? Assuming you are a right handed shooter? Left impact shows too stiff of a spine. The fact that you put a 125gr head on the 340s and the same 100gr on 400s and had better results also leads me to believe it's a spine issue, but can't be certain without your numbers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

6. killer chill-r

Dislikes Received:
    Right handed
    Spyder 30 60#, 30" DL.

7. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Those numbers will put you right on the line between 400 and 340 spine. It's usually a good idea to go with the stiffer shaft. Especially with a heavier tip.

Are your broadheads and field points the same weight?

8. killer chill-r

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah they're the same weight, with in 1-2 grains on the scale. Also with the 340 spine even my mechanicals want even hit with my field points. But with the 400 spine they all hit within an inch of each other.

Just trying to figure this out I really don't want to buy any good 400 spine unless I have to. Thanks guys for all your input.

I forgot to mention I have 50gr brass inserts up front on the 340 spine FMJ's.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  9. killer chill-r

Dislikes Received:
    Talked to a friend earlier today and he suggested that I try paper tuning. Figured I ain't got nothing to loose. I couldn't get a bullet with the 400 or the Nememis. I got very close with the FMJ's. But I have the rest moved all the up & still getting a very slight high tail tare. So I would think that the nock point needs to be adjusted. If I have time tomorrow I'm gonna run by the shop & have them check it out.

10. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Arrow spine is crucial to BH tuning, as a field point is the most forgiving arrow in your quiver. Based on your first post of chasing your tail on the BH right--FP center....I immediately guessed it was spine. My Prime Rival was doing the same thing with Axis 400's the past couple weeks and I finally broke down and dug out some Axis 340's.....pow....issue solved. In my experience, Primes like a bit stiffer spine if the setup is on the margin, but that may not be the case for your bow. If the lighter spine flies better with a BH, that is all that really matters.

11. myot

myot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    not sure if you've spun checked your arrows or not but sometimes you can get away with a slight wiggle with field points but with broadheads it can be a mess

Dan

12. ETABNT

ETABNT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is a lot of FOC on those FMJ's especially at 60# and 30" DL.... if it was me i would go to a 100 grain FP and 100 grain Ram cats and call it a day.

13. killer chill-r

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if this has anything to do with my problem, but I've been gone for 2 weeks came back today to tackle this timing issue & noticed I have a kind that is splintering!! Took it to the shop & apparently when I bought it 3 months ago they didn't give me my warranty registration card & I didn't register it. They said it shouldn't be a problem. So well see.

14. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You didn't mention your bow brand.......Bowtech???

15. killer chill-r

Dislikes Received:
    Hoyt Spyder 30