Bow tech

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by rptoombs, Feb 26, 2017.

1. rptoombs

rptoombs Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone know how to become a bow tech?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. Marshhunter1221

Marshhunter1221 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Break a limb and you will be a bow tech! Haha,

Manufacturers have courses that you can attend that will teach you what you. Red to know as well as there are technical manuals for bows that you get from the manufacturers

Friends don't let friends hunt with guns

3. nwmono

nwmono Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are some excellent DVDs that contain a wealth of information. Two I've found informative are "The Self-Reliant Bowhunter" by Michael Braden, and "Bow Tuning Basics" from Ike, at ikesoutdoors.com. Neither will automatically make you a bow tech, they will however, give you the confidence to work on your own bows. The more you have to work on, the more you learn and confidence you build.
    I'm sure there are others, these two have taught me a lot.

4. Invisible man

Invisible man Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

5. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    work at an archery shop or in an archery department under a good bow tech and learn hands on. On the job. Probably the best way I would think.

6. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dive head first into research and start on your own bow. Create problems for yourself to figure out. Learn what a twist here does to the cams here. Learn about different arrows, strings, bows, cam systems, releases, etc. You're going to want to know at least how to string up all the popular bow models. Be a VERY clean arrow fletcher because people want it to look as clean as factory. Know how to paper tune, yoke tune, walk back tune, french tune, etc. Know how to disassemble a bow and know when something looks out of place. Learn about every piece of archery equipment possible, and most of all be prepared for people to be upset. Speaking from personal experience as I have been a bow technician for a shop for over a year now. If you're trying to get a job and have any questions about technical stuff let me know.