Bow out of whack

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by vip3r28, Jul 3, 2016.

1. vip3r28

vip3r28 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I bought a new bear encounter in March. Got it tuned and adjusted for me in April and have only shot it twice. Shot it at the shop when I picked it up and was hitting perfect at 20 yards. Shot it in May at 30 yards and my left to right was off.When I shot it last weekend, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Shooting high and wide. My girlfriend's father shot it, thinking it was just me but he also was shooting it high and wide. When I am not using it or transporting it is velcroed down in a flambeau case. So what I'm asking is do I go back to the shop and have them retune it? Do I try to tune it myself? Is there anything I should check? Is it something to do with my case?

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like your sight or rest moved.

3. joshcalhoun18

joshcalhoun18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I second that it seems like your rest moved.

4. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with josh and Fergus, check the rest

5. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's a good idea to learn how to tune it yourself. You may not always have a shop available when the need for a tune or fine tune arises.

There are tons of how to videos on youtube, as well as articles, blogs and people here on the forum that will help teach you what you need to know.

I agree with the previous posters that your rest is the first thing to check. Start out learning and doing a french tune.

6. Clem

Clem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ditto

I was afraid to try this thinking that I might mess something up... I found I could do a better job than what the shop could do due to time. Also you will learn a lot about the mechanics of shooting, not just the bow but you. And if you did screw things up, good news you brought business to the shop you bought it from so they will fix up any of your mess ups.

Clem

7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Could be a few things actually. Strings/cables could have stretched. You could have bumped your sight or rest. One side of yoke might have stretched making the idler wheel lean.

You can check all the basics. Make sure every thing is snug and nothing is loose and sliding around. If all looks good try walk back tuning or if you are going to hunt broadhead tuning. You can find several YouTube videos on how to do this. Little time consuming at first but once you get the geist pretty simple.

Once you have your sights and rest setup I usually mark them with a silver sharpie so I know where they should be set. white out works good to and is removable in case you have to do it again.

You can check for idler lean by putting an arrow on the idler wheel and see if its parallel to the string. If not and you don't have a press might need to take it to the shop.

With it now being erratic check to make sure you are getting clearance and arrow is not bumping something.

Hope that helps.

8. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you are shooting consistently high and wide, give it a go at tuning it back in yourself. I would lay odds more on the sight

9. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A bow is not a rifle you just can't shoot it a few times and expect to hit what your aiming at!! You shot it in March when you got it then you shot it again in May at 30? Have you even properly sighted the bow in? I'm sorry but I think this is shooter error and has nothing to do with the bow! And as for the other guy being off to that could be because he holds the bow different anchor's different the list can go on and on.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  10. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree w the rest moving posts. One thing guys don't notice is the string moving on a drop away rest, say it slipped? If you use one can throw a bow way off. I mark my sights, rest n when you get a new bow, mark where the cables are in relation to cam, this way if timing goes you'll know n not waste money getting a bow "tuned" when it doesn't need it. Either way once you figure it out mark everything. The learning to tune it yourself is priceless advice. Heed it

11. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This would be my initial take on the topic as well. If you have only shot a new bow a few times, your grip or peep alignment may be off and causing the current results. Likewise, if the string has set in and stretched a bit, your tuning could be just off and adding to the issue. Sights and rests do not just go out of whack unless they are not tightened down or significantly bumped.

12. vip3r28

vip3r28 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    First off, thank you for the suggestions. So I was looking at my bow tonight with a friend of mine and right away he noticed that the peep sight was shifting up and down pretty freely. Plus the knots holding the peep slide up and down freely on the string. So while I do appreciate the suggestions, I am going to call the bow shop I took it to originally and make them fix it free of charge.

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes they should serve the peep in.

14. nontypical223

nontypical223 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bow is probably out of tune to factor strings stretch. If your bow shop is anything like tge ones around me. They probably just eyeballed everything and sent you on your way. Better be sure your bow is in tune.

15. Adamjjf

Adamjjf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I noticed on my bow after taking it out of storage that the place the arrow knock meets the string slid down some. That would also change the trajectory of the arrow. May be worth looking at.