Arrow choices...?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Hillbilly Jedi, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know we have tons of threads on what arrow should I shoot but WTH, I'm starting another.

I have a new bow on the way. Bowtech BTX-28. The draw length is 27" and will be 60lbs. I've been shooting GT XT Hunter 5575/400 arrows and they seemed to shoot fine with my last bow. Been considering switching to Carbon Express, probably Blu Streak with the 350 spine. I also currently shoot 100G field points and BH's.

So here's the question.... do I need to change arrows and if so, what am I gonna gain? Black Tail deer are the largest animals I currently hunt and haven't had any issues with killing them so far. What's your thoughts?

2. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    GT kinetics, 400 spine, 125 grain tip, jmo !

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've killed a lot of animals with Easton Axis Nano's and FMJ's.

4. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you change arrows you will satisfy your curiosity. That could be considered a gain depending how you view it. I personally have used goldtip, carbon express, and easton. Never really noticed a difference in quality between the 3. They all kill animals the same. :tu:

5. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. My main goal is consistency. I don't necessarily want to have a bunch of different arrows that shoot differently. I don't like fixing things that aren't broke but I wasn't sure if the new bow would make a big difference or not. I am curious about the CX arrows and may give a few of them a shot. Eh... we'll see what happens.

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I changed arrows this year but for a different reason. I went from a 355 grain arrow to 455 grain arrow roughly. The idea was to get more momentum and increase FOC. The only thing you are gaining is maybe a stiffer spine in this case, That might not be bad but until you shoot it it will be hard to tell. If i had to error on spine though I would lean more towards the stiff side. Good luck.

7. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I also changed arrows this year. I went from CX maxima hunters to Easton Axis. My arrow is heavier by 30 grains and has a smaller diameter. One reason I changed is the weight and also the price to make my own. It was a better deal for me to buy a dozen Easton Axis than CX piledrivers. :tu:

8. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you're going to add any weight to your arrow, I would go with a 350, 340, 330 etc. But if you're staying with the same weight, 400 spine would do just fine. I am really liking black eagle arrows, they have the tightest tolerances in the industry and great customer service. I also really like Easton FMJ and axis arrows

9. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot Easton Axis for many years and honestly had no reason to change other than a bit of wanderlust. However this spring I was on another archery forum and ran across a thread informing that Amazon had GT Hunter Pro 400 fletched arrows for nearly half off. I checked it out and then verified that the price was that low before buying a dozen. They have proven to be very straight and accurate (when I do my part), so I recently purchased a second dozen shafts at a good price as well. They are about 30-35gr lighter than my Axis, which I am using for target and spring turkey hunting for a quicker arrow. I have my hunting bow set up to shoot Axis arrows and plan to continue using them in the woods, as they are tried and true. My experience with CX many years ago was fine, but they tend to be pricey and I rarely see them with the deals I can find with GT and Axis.

10. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Partial to the HEXX arrows with 150 grs up front.

11. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    I recently bought an arrow scale and weighed my practice and hunting arrows. Practice are all right at 370 grains and hunting arrows are at 380 grains. The 10 extra grains are from the Nocturnal lighted nocks. I thought they'd be closer to 400 grains. From stuff I hear that might be a little light for a hunting arrow but I've had good penetration on the 2 bucks I've shot. What do y'all think about the weight?

12. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I personally would go with a heavier arrow, especially for hunting. My arrows now are about 420gr. and I'm most likely going to go heavier.

13. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting arrows should be around 400 or from what most people like 420 is about the sweet spot. I'm swapping to Black Eagle Arrows as the weight was too high for what I wanted.

14. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've always been partial to Easton arrows. Shot the Axis for many years with good results. Switched to ACC's last year and really like that arrow!

SCFox