Brand new to bow hunting

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by FLBoy, Jan 15, 2017.

1. FLBoy

FLBoy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Looking for equipment advice. I have been a rifle hunter my entire life. Looking to start bow hunting. I don't want to jump into anything too expensive to start. Generally hunt pretty wooded areas in north Florida.

Any help would be appreciated.

Curt

2. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you are brand new I recommend buying new just because you know you aren't buying someone else's issues. Find yourself a Mission dealer and pick your favorite. Probably a Riot or Blaze. Make sure your sights is made of metal. I recommend Trophy Ridge for starters I recommend the Volt or the Fix lines. Whisker biscuit rests are fine for beginners. If you get into it then step up to a drop away later on. Arrows will depend on your set up. Beman, Easton and Gold tip are all good brands. Best advice is to probably find a good pro shop and they can teach you all about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. FLBoy

FLBoy Newb

Dislikes Received:

Great stuff man! I really appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go to a good bow shop and have them get you set up. Will cost more than buying over the internet but it will save you down the road from having to not learn how to overcome all of your bad habits that you developed by shooting a bow that wasn't set up just for you. Archery is so much fun and so much more of a challenge. Be careful as it is very addicting!

ENJOY!!!!!!

5. FLBoy

FLBoy Newb

Dislikes Received:

Thanks!

Question about having it set up for me. Is that something that is typically an extra charge even if I buy the bow from them? Just asking as I am snooping around the internet and saw one shop that does. But wasn't sure if that was the norm or not.

Curt

6. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Every shop that I've ever been to setup is included.
    Also everyone that I've been to will also install any accessories you buy there at no charge.
    I'd be leary of a shop that charged me install after I bought it from them.
    Also don't be opposed to buy used from a bow shop, most don't want the liability or bad rap of putting dangerous or junk up on the wall.
    Just do your research.
    Buying used can easily save enough bucks for some arrows.
    Just take your time and don't just grab the first one you shoot.
    Season is a long ways away.
    Keep an open mind, I made the mistake of thinking I needed a short ATA bow. Doesn't always work when you're tall with a 29.5" draw length as I'm finding out 3 bows later.

Sent from my XT1254 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

7. FLBoy

FLBoy Newb

Dislikes Received:

Well thank God I came here. I literally knew none of this. Would of definitely bought the first thing I came across.

8. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mission archery is the way to go. Riot or Ballistic and ya buy new from a proshop so they can set it up for you. The draw, peep, wieght all has to be specially setup for you. Bow's are not like a gun where you can pick up any of them and in a few shots be shooting bulleyes. Bow's have to be setup for the person that is shooting it.

9. Dutchd

Dutchd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with elkguide.
    Find a local shop. The small difference in price will be worth every penny in advice and help.
    I was where you are two years ago and that was the best advice i was given.
    I bought a entry level package bow. (had sight, rest ,quiver) Still shooting it.
    Good luck!

10. FLBoy

FLBoy Newb

Dislikes Received:

What did your entry level package cost you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Like others said, go to your local archery shop and shoot a few bows to see what feels best to you. Give them your spending budget and see what they have. You can find some bows on consignment too.

12. Dutchd

Dutchd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Around 500. Then arrows, release, target, case. all in around 1000.00
    you can always hold off on a case and build your own target.

13. doublea17

doublea17 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back into bow hunting after a 20+ years off. Went to Cabelas and the guy there was awesome shot a few different bows at the $350-500 bow package range. Also never shot with a release and let me test a few to see which one I liked. Walked out with a new bow all set up for my short 26in draw length and 50#DW. for $399 and I added release a target and 6 Arrows and field tips and I was out the door for under $650 It all depends on what you want to spend on a release and arrows and the type of target.

14. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    While I normally shy away from archery "pro" shops because the majority are very biased for "their" brands and often manufacture stories about other brands or models to steer you away from the competition....in your case of it might be of benefit to go that route. However I would purposefully leave your credit cards at home and take the time to scope out Youtube on basic archery aspects such as draw length measuring, draw weight, anchoring with various releases, matching arrow spine (stiffness) to your personal specifications, etc. That way you walk into a shop as an informed customer shopping for the best fit vs. an easy target for a smooth salesman looking to off-load last years unsold gear on a newbie. This time of year you can find good deals on closeout bows.....BUT you need to know what you are looking for. Even being prepared, you will find that archery is an ongoing process where folks buy, try and resell gear at an amazing rate. The used market is huge and the Archery Talk website has an amazing classifieds forum with tons...literally....of quality used gear. Everyone starts somewhere and it is best to have someone with experience and integrity get you started off properly.

15. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Curt, the basspro in Orlando set me up nice for a reasonable cost when I was upgrading my 1970s bow stuff. I got a diamond bow package and worked great. the redhead brand is good stuff as well and reasonably priced. have since upgraded but if you're starting you might check them out. good luck with it.