Noise Amplifying Headphones - who uses?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Rugger, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Rugger

Rugger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was talking to a buddy of mine the other day - he's primarily a Sika deer hunter and mentioned how they are exceptionally quiet even by deer standards.

I told him that as a relatively new bow hunter, but even with gun experience, my #1 most valuable piece of gear are the noise amplifying headphones I wear. I told him about it because Sika love swamp and I thought he'd make great use of a tool like this that would help him hear water sloshing way, way out.

I can't tell you how many times I have heard deer well before i could see them, from long distances, with these things on; distances that are not possible with the human ear.

I'd say that where I primarily hunt (hardwoods) I can consistently hear a deer slowly walking at 100-150 yards out, sometimes more. As a gun hunter is isn't as helpful because you can shoot at range and dont have to move much. However, as a bow hunter these extra seconds to get into position are invaluable.

Right now I use an over the ear pair meant for shooting, but they help keep me warm in the cold months. I think next year I'll get an in-ear pair. Hopefully there's some out there that can blank out the sound of wind.

Who else is with me?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds interesting.

'Cause my ears do get cold and this "maturing process" isn't very helpful either.

3. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I find that cheating for deer hunting. Its like jacklighting at a deer. It also defeats the purpose of deer hunting to everyone.

4. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What brand and model do you have? My hearing isn't the best and I always see the deer before I hear them. My eyes are locked on due to my bad hearing. Let me know. Thanks.

5. Bowhunter728

Bowhunter728 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    check out the howard leight electronic earpro. i have them for when i go shooting and they are fantastic. it definitely makes you feel like an animal cause it sharpens your hearing like crazy lol.

6. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used electronic headphones when I rifle hunted, but that was just to protect my hear.
    Squirrels are loud enough, I don't need to give them a set of speakers on top of it.

7. Jay Pope

Jay Pope Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So if a person wears glasses or uses binos he's "cheating"??? :)

You're either a young whipper-snapper or haven't lost any of your hearing. As a person who has to wear hearing aids just to carry on a conversation with someone I find your post laughable.

I hope you're only using a long bow with wooden arrows you made and only wear a loin cloth when you're stalking deer. :nana:

8. Jay Pope

Jay Pope Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought my son a pair of these to protect his hearing. They also allow us to communicate while hunting. Very affordable & they work great!

Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017