What arrow should I be using to hunt with?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt

Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For the last 5 years or so, I have been hunting with easton aftermaths. I initially started using them for the only purpose of because they are the cheapest. I like them, I just like to have options.
    I shoot a 55lb, 27in carbon spyder turbo. My current arrow length is 26.5. It is the aftermath 400s, so 8.8 gbi. I also shoot a 100g broadhead.
    I'm just on the market for new arrows and I knew there were people on here that have a lot more experience than I do in that field. Any advice on how to calculate the proper weight for my arrow is also appreciated

2. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i did a rough estimate im going to guess your arrows weight around 360 grains with my calculations but i dont know if it has any inserts or outserts my arrows right now are the Black eagle deep impacts they weight right at 417 gr im switching to the rampages for one reason and one reason only because they will weight about 400 grains and my bow is a 2016 mathews HTX set at 70lbs 27 inch draw roughly 26 inch arrows so im hoping to gain a little bit more speed and not lose very many grains because that little amount wont impact my penetration due to my bow being called basically a "slower model bow" on the market today but i love it right now i get about 271-275 out of the chrono with my set up but im hoping to reach about 280-285 dont know if it will happen but a guy can try and i still want max penetration for those long shots. hope this helps.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With your draw length and weight things aren't so cut and dried. Assuming your primarily whitetail hunting you want a moderate weight smaller diameter shaft. Reason being it's the best comprise considering your Low draw length and weight .
    Here are some recommendations.
    Easton 390 ACC's at 26.5" with 125 grain heads will bring to about 410 grain or so. You will have plenty of FOC and enough weight but not overly heavy.
    Same goes for BEA 400 rampages. Though I would use 50 grain brass hits and then 100 grain Broadheads. BEA Spartans will also work well with the steel 26 grain inserts.
    If your thinking of a standard diameter shaft a GT velocity XT or Pro in 400 with an additional 20 or 30 grains in FACT weight with 100 grain head will get you where you need to be.

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    trial is the man when it comes to figuring an arrow build...FOC is important, even more so IMO for those with shorter DL and DW like yourself.

5. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mine......Easton Axis 340's....but you cannot have mine since I need them so you will have to get your own. Easton will sell you some that are not mine, but they likely will not be as good a mine. :lol:

6. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The best arrow I have used for hunting is Easton Axis. I would use Axis 340 with 50gr insert. Use the free (5 day) Shaft Selector program (pinwheelsoftware.com) to determine the proper length. Just turn on the correct filters (ie hunting etc), select your bow and all arrow components and play with the shaft length to get the optimum spine (in the green). This has worked well for me the last 6-7 dozen arrow/bows. MY arrow = Axis with 50gr (or 75) insert and FlexFletch FFP-360 vanes. AND Axis (& Beman) made in the USA. The rest not.

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What is your overall weight? Length of arrow? FOC? Just curious more than anything.