Rear bow sights

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BB4tw, Nov 26, 2016.

1. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Does anybody use one and can you share your experience?

I'm specifically considering the Peep Eliminator that puts a V notch rear sight behind the riser.

They make some substantial claims over a standard peep but my thought is that if they are really all that, why haven't they replaced peep sights as standard equipment.

2. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just Googled this. Obviously the manufacturer makes it sound great but i am interested. Following for input.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  3. archer#5

archer#5 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have never used them but then again I am not interested in giving it a try and here is why. The reason that accuracy is improved so much when using a peep along with the sight is because the farther apart your two reference points are in your sight plane (peep and sight pin) the more accurate you will be. The same applies with the front and rear sight on a firearm. A rifle with open sights will be more accurate than a pistol with open sights. The closer your two sight references are will mask or hide a lot of movement and will more than likely effect your accuracy. If you have access to both a rifle and pistol with open sights you can check this out by just aiming the two and move them both around a little and you will notice that you will have a lot more movement in aiming the pistol but at the same time it will appear that you are still on target and with very little movement while aiming the rifle your aim will more than likely be way off target. I hope that I did not confuse you but that is the best way that I can explain it.

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've not tried one, but the ideas behind them do have merit. We practice so much in making sure we have multiple anchor points, and that is for the sole purpose of trying to ensure the Peep is sitting in the same position relative to our eye. Two point aiming would pretty much replace that. Not having to worry about peep twist. But on the downside, they would definitely not have as open a sight picture and I'm not sure how I would feel about that.

I would be interesting in trying one out though just to see how it feels in use.

5. J.H.

J.H. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have one of those sights, not being used right now though.
    just like anything else it has advantages and disadvantages.
    some positive things are being able to see hand induced torque, huge sight picture, eye dominance and they are plenty accurate out to say 50 yrds.
    the negatives have already been mentioned.