Arrow question advise.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by abates352, Nov 21, 2016.

1. abates352

abates352 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking for a good hunting arrow to get the best of both world, speed and penetration. My current is a 500 grain Easton axis 300. With 125 grain broadhead. Really leaning towards the Easton hexx with 50-75 grain brass insert. 100 grain head. Finished arrow weight should be around 430-450 somthing like that. Prolly go back to 100 grain head if I can. Any suggestions, what is everyone using. I shoot a Nitrum Turbo 30 inch draw 72 DW. 30inch arrow.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  2. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, I would stay with the axis for a hunting arrow. The Axis is one of the best selling hunting arrows out there as it was one of the first slim diameter arrows to come out I believe. I have been using the same dozen Axis arrows for like 8 years now. They are built tough, and hit like a ton of bricks.

The Hexx is a light weight arrow. Now you could make it a good hunting arrow by adding weight up front but I honestly think your going to be better off with the Axis over the Hexx especially at your poundage and draw length.

3. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i currently shoot easton axis and i think its a great arrow. my arrows weigh in around 470g but my foc is awful so im looking at getting a lighter arrow with brass inserts to help my foc. if you wanna stay with the small diameter i would look at the easton d' torch. its a fast small diameter arrow. im also looking at gold tip velocity pro xt arrows

4. abates352

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, I love the axis. No complaints. Just heavy.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's a good move. You can dump about 50 grains, add significant FOC which helps in downrange performance. I don't see the downside. Just make sure you have the spine for it.

6. Riverduck11

Riverduck11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was shooting Easton Bloodlines last 3 years and struggling with penetration as well. I was talked into the Maxima Reds from Carbon Express and have been very impressed. 3 straight complete pass throughs. I know there are a lot of variables in every shot, but everything else is the same in my set up and I am getting much better penetration. This arrow is much lighter at only about 404 grains but FOC is very good at 14%.

I have really been impressed with this arrow in my target shooting as well.

7. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I also shoot Easton axis and suggest you stay there, lighten it up if you want, but I wouldn't. My arrows are 27 3/4" and weight 425 grains with 100 grain heads. I am think about going to 125 grains next year.

8. abates352

Dislikes Received:
    My only complaint is the arrows are slow, I get pass thrus every time. 500 grains moving a touch over 300 fps kills every time tipped with a coc DRT. Was just curious if there is an option to pick up more speed but continue with a hard hitting arrow. I may just stay with the trusty standard. Just be time for my 3rd dozen.

9. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Hate to break this to ya but 300 fps is not slow! Get rid of the idea of speed for when it comes to hunting. Yes you need it to an extent but speed doesnt kill. Momentum means alot more. If your getting pass throughs and over 270fps at your poundage and draw length you have 1 killer setup. That extra arrow weight being pushed at 300 fps is hitting that deer like a semi and will get the job done nearly every single time. Trust me when i say this but there is alot of guys who wish they could have that kind of power behind their arrow.

10. abates352

Dislikes Received:
    I understand speed isn't everything, I was just thinking maybe there was some room to wiggle on momentum beings I can get more power than most with my DL and DW. I will say it was nice blowing clear through the pelvic bone when I botched my shot this year. Shot a 200 dressed weight buck in the back him, got a complete pass thru and penitrated bone. That buck took 3 steps and dropped. Is a certain amount of luck to hit the arteries in both legs

I prolly will just stay with the heavy arrows, they have been working fine.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  11. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i must have missed your dl and dw in your orignal post. I have the same dl and dw as you and im already shooting a 100g broadhead. my axis arrows are weighing in around 470g. i think you have room to wiggle with your arrow selection. like i said in my other post im gonna try a lighter arrow with inserts just to try and pick up a little speed but more importantly to me i want my foc to be higher. i think im currently at 7% foc, but i still get a pass thru everytime. im just gonna do a half dozen arrows and see what happens worst case scenario i already know i have an arrow that will get the job done

12. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same DW (72lb), 31" draw. 30" Easton Injection 330's with 100g up front. Inserts are also an option if you'd like, but I've had nothing but good luck with these. Great penetration and ends up within your weight range (450gr).

13. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, I definitely would. If you went lighter you would actually lose momentum and that driving force you have with the heavier arrow.