Reusing broadheads

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jyohn, Nov 20, 2016.

1. jyohn

jyohn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I currently use Thunderhead broadheads (100gr.) and my stockpile of replacement blades are running low. I need to decide if I replace these blades or I go with an expandable next year. I have two questions: 1. How many times should a person reuse a broadhead after shooting a deer? and 2. If I were to go with a 100 gr. expandable what would you recommend? I appreciate the insight from fellow bow hunters.

2. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Use the head until something bends or breaks. Resharpen the blades unless they are broken and use them for multiple deer.

I only replace blades when they can no longer be sharpened.

3. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can reuse blades as long as they spin true and sharp. You can still buy replacement blades for your type. I have shot 3 or 4 deer with the same broadhead. I weigh mine and try not to sharpen them pass 5 grain of total weight. I use Magnus Snuffers and they have a warranty so they are replaced when damaged.
    Mechanicals will still have the blade replacement issue and just as hard to sharpen.

4. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you like the thunderheads stick with them. Keep in mind that a lot of expandable out there you can stick in the disposable category as in the ferrule will bend or break on a much higher percentage of shots than most fixed blades.

If your killing deer with thunderheads and are confident in them get a sharpener and keep plugging away. If you want something new for the sake of something new don't close yourself off to only expandables. There are a bunch of killer fixed blade heads out there now. I went from Thunderheads to several different iterations of mechanicals back to thunderheads then ended up on Slick Trick and that's probably where I am staying. The Thunderheads were great but are a little more finicky to tune IMO. Never could get on board with expandables. I've killed deer with them I know they work but I am uneasy when I have them on my arrow.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always replace the blades but as long as the ferrel spins true then you can continue to reuse it with new blades. In regards to an expandable I would need to know more about your setup to feel comfortable recommending one. There are lots of good choices but your setup determines which ones are ideal or not.

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Also remember that Thunderheads have been around for many years. That alone speaks volumes on the quality of that head.

7. jyohn

jyohn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies as your feedback is very helpful. Despite me continuing to hold onto my PSE bow that I suppose some people would consider ancient, I can get caught up with all the tech. hype of the newest equipment. I have my sons shooting Thunderheads now who are part of the next generation of bowhunters. This is a great forum. Good luck hunting!

8. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I retire any broadhead that I shoot a deer with. With as inexpensive as thunderheads are I wouldn't think twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Riverduck11

Riverduck11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As most others mentioned. I resharpen my blades and reuse unless bent. I shoot expandibles and the small bolts and ferrules are what you usually have to watch, not the blades.

10. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1. If the tip is good and it spins true I would replace the blades and use it as many times as you can.

2. NONE

11. ksWThntr

ksWThntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot 100 gr. NAP spitfires and I've never had an issue with them. I usually replace the blades after a shot or two (if I'm in the mood to sharpen them).

12. Jaberry

Jaberry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the old rocky mountain snypers still. I reuse them as much as i can. I still have some replacement blades for em but trying to get replacement rubber bands is a bit harder. If it still works then use it as long as they are still sharp

Sent from my SM-N920P using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

13. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot G5 Montec and I've shot one through 4 different deer. Just kept sharpening them. I have a total of 9 of them and only 3 of them have ever been shot at a deer, and all of them have been sharpened and killed multiple deer. Of course if I ever do break one, there is no replacing the blade, but I feel like I've gotten my moneys worth.