broadhead tune or leave it alone

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TXsilverado, Oct 8, 2016.

1. TXsilverado

TXsilverado Newb

Dislikes Received:
    here's the deal. i pulled out the hunting bow for the first time in about 5 years. surprised myself on the shooting. i guess bowfishing through the years kept me in the zone. i used to shoot mens pro about 17 years ago so the accuracy is nowhere near what it used to be but 3" 5 arrow groups at 20 yards is good enough to take a deer.

here is my issue. i grabbed my broadhead of choice and shot. the POI is the same at 10 yds as a field tip, but at 20 the broadhead flies flatter.

1 pin for 10-20 yards with a broadhead, but at 20 yds the field tip drops about 6" low. should i attempt to broadhead tune this thing, or just leave it alone and keep the current tune.

bow:
    pse stingray. 65lbs draw, 32" ATA, 29" draw length, drop away rest and the rest of the crap you expect on a hunting rig.

arrow:
    29.75" carbon tech cheetah 45/70 with 125 grain 3 blade muzzies.

the arrow isnt doing anything crazy with field tip or broad head...the poi is just 6" lower with the 125 grain field tip at 20 yds. 10 yards they shoot the same.

I almost want to leave it alone and be happy that 1 pin covers 5yds-20 yds. i doubt i'll ever take a shot past 25yds.

2. TXsilverado

TXsilverado Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i wish i could leave **** alone. the internet screws me up more than it helps me most times lol. i started ****ing with rest positions, the sights and now i'm lost. went from a 1 pin bow to arrow dropping bow slinging arrows in circles. been chasing the field point for an hour and a half. the rest is sitting about 1/2" outside of the center of the bow/string.

3. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you need to start from scratch now and check EVERYRHING. Nock point, paper tune then a walk back tune. I'd head to the pro shop and start fresh. Hope you get it worked out. But to answer your original question, no way I'd be ok with my broadheads hitting 6 inches low at 20 yards.

4. TXsilverado

TXsilverado Newb

Dislikes Received:
    broadhead was hitting perfect at 10 and 20...field point was hitting perfect at 10 yds, but 6" low at 20.

i have some old school tuning tools that i broke out. i put the arrow back perfect center to the string and raised the rest up to a rough starting tune according to a square....

muzzys are back in the kill zone at 10 and 20.hell the muzzy tipped arrows are more consistent/accurate than the field tip groups. I threw on a nocturnal at dusk to see what the tail of the arrow was doing. it's not a perfect dart, but it's not enough to to drive myself crazy about. it will put meat on the table 100% of the time now as long as i do my part.

I figure this is my hunting bow. i could care less what the field points do. i'll take 3 broadhead shots per day up until it's cool enough to hunt here in texas to make sure i'm ready to let one fly at an animal.

5. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear you got it to a point you are comfortable with it. Good luck!

6. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Were the tips the same grains as broadheads ?

7. TXsilverado

TXsilverado Newb

Dislikes Received:
    yes, everything is 125 grain. i think the slight dance i'm seeing is due to it being a borderline spine on the arrow. my setup falls right on that line of what arrow can be used. i wish i had a stiffer arrow at 30" and also a little heavier. these spears are only 370 grain going off of memmory. they've had no problem passing through elk, deer and pigs though.

8. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That weight is to light for a 65 lb. bow and 125 gr. heads. You are under spined at 400, you need 330-370 and a heavier arrow. your arrow is only 6.4 gr per inch.

9. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes ^^^^^this

10. TXsilverado

TXsilverado Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thats what i figured. There is probably more than that going on. My 70lb bow is only showing 65lbs maxed out according to my old bow scale too. The string needs to be checked. I dont have the cash to restring and get new arrows at the moment.

I was eyeballing the carbon express maxima hunter 300 for more weight, straighter arrow and stiffer spline.
    Is that a good arrow for me when i do pull the trigger on arrows and string? I usually just trust a local shop, but thats how i ended up here lol.

what grain per inch should i aim for? These arrows are pretty fast and the bow is silent but like i said in my first post, i wouldnt mind a little more weight.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  11. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heavier arrows would be quieter but slower but also give u an advantage in the penetration department. I think around 8 gpi or higher, but every arrow spine has its own so it's hard to say. Spine matched to the draw weight is much more important ! Under spined is bad, over spined is good

12. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would have broadhead tuned

13. TXsilverado

TXsilverado Newb

Dislikes Received:
    did you read what happened when i attempted broadhead tuning? it was my first time trying (first time i've heard of it really). I may try it again once i get a stiffer splined arrow.

14. TXsilverado

TXsilverado Newb

Dislikes Received:
    and still on subject...what is a good drop away rest that's quiet and easily adjustable? i've never been super thrilled with mine. no notches to see where you're adjusting...and i had to add felt to it because the rest was metal and the carbon arrows were loud as hell dragging across the stainless rest.

15. JasonOhio2018

Dislikes Received:
    Check out ripcord rest. I'm pleased with mine.

16. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My bow is 70 # draw and 29 inch draw with Magnus Snuffers 125 gr. This is close to yours. The spine on my shafts is 340 and total weight 460 gr. Since the fp was below the bh then spine would be your most likely problem.
    If you could shorten your current shafts a bit might help some or simply sight for bh and live with it. When you can get some 340 shafts do a bareshft tune.

17. TXsilverado

TXsilverado Newb

Dislikes Received:
    yeah my .400 spine would be better with a 28" arrow according to Carbon Tech's chart, but i really like to keep my broad head out in front of the riser so i dont have to go crazy clocking broadheads to clear the riser. 2" would also cut my already light arrows even lighter.

the proper arrow is the fix. these are hitting perfectly where i put them inside 20 yards so they'll get me through the season.

18. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well to me it sounds like your broadheads are not flying flatter as you state, but high. I bet if you sighted your field points in at 20 your broadheads would be hitting high. That tells me the cam timing is off or the nock point is low (causing the broadhead to fly high). Spine usually rears it's head in windage issues not elevation issues. I agree you are underspined with the 400's, but I do not think that is your elevation issue. But if you are confident with your current setup that is what matters.

As far as rests I am a big QAD fan. I have been using the HDX models for 4 years now. I have tried two limb driven rests (Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro and VaporTrail) and a Ripcord in that time but went back to QAD.

19. TXsilverado

TXsilverado Newb

Dislikes Received:
    the bh shooting higher than field makes more sense, but that would mean the bh would hit high at 10 yds. Its a single cam bow so the timing is good. I like the looks of the qad rest.

20. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Brain fart. Coop is right, I have been messing with xbows to much. Spine would show up more as left/right. I would double check my weight and FOC balance. Single cam solves some issues.
    Points make the difference so I would really check the shafts.