Ozone for your Washing machine?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jeepwillys, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been looking into an Ozone generator for our washing machine to clean all of our clothes. Supposedly you will no longer need detergent. At first I just wanted it for my gear, but if it works like it's supposed to then I think it would pay for itself. Just wondering if anyone here has one or has used one? Any thoughts?

2. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just hunt the wind.

3. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:
    True, but you can't always keep them from coming in from down wind or going past you to the down wind side. But that has nothing to do with this. I was wondering if anybody had used them and as too their effectiveness. Maybe I posted in the wrong section and if that's the case, I apologize.

4. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No need to apologize I'm just saying hunt the wind. If they're coming in wrong move your stand or don't hunt it today if wind is wrong. its hunting 101. Every day is not good for any stand. Personally I have no experience so I can't help you there, but biologists feel deer can smell dead skin cells fall off us. I don't beieve itll help better than using the wind but good luck bud

5. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ozone is O3 molecules, how can it be used in a wash machine?

6. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is a machine connected to the inlet water supply. It injects ozone molecules into the water. I hear they work.

7. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt areas where I'm literally covered up with deer in every direction. How do you hunt the wind in that case. I get the concept and I do try to position my stands on runs and hunt the wind... but deer are unpredictable and scattered sometimes, (especially during rut), and in that situation I'd like all the help I can get. So I agree with both you and Jeepwillys. Try to hunt a stand that favors the wind but try to be as scent free as can be for those surprises when they pop up out of nowhere 50 yds downwind with their nose in the air. :tu:

8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure how it would work on grease stains and such? I've thought about hooking my ozone machine to my dryer, just haven't tried it yet.

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How about scent control and hunt the wind. When you hunt the big woods, there are always deer down wind.

10. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Seems interesting, Ozone works to kill scent, really no disputing that. I'm sure it would work well on hunting clothing.

11. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:
    Those are my thoughts exactly Fitz and Shocker. Can't keep deer, of there own free will from going down wind or circling around. Even though we all try to its impossible to be 100% down wind of every deer in the woods with out some major barriers. My thoughts on the Ozone in the wash, from my reading up, is that it will completely encompass the garment. Which is what many state about using one in the air is that you have to trap it, circulate it, and get it to flow around every garment. Seems it would be much more thorough and efficient in the water since you're going to wash them anyway. And as a bonus if it does work without having to use detergent, you'd save money in the long run. It would also kill that musty smell that front loaders get.
    Fitz I've also read that heat kills ozone. With the washing machine setup, it's advised for maximum effectiveness, to only use cold water. So I don't know if it would work with your dryer.
    I'm hoping somebody on here has used one or has any other input on their effectiveness. Thanks for the comments.

12. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I get you but just hunt higher? Guess I'm old school and anti marketing/technology. I do use some but I feel people wanna buy things to put band aids on things they've yet to figure out. Sorta stunts their growth as a bowhunter.
    All the bait, ozonics, cameras etc to me just straight up isn't hunting. Not knocking anyone, nor trying to offend, simple learning to hunt is going away imo

13. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Higher than 18-20 ft? You can't get high enough to keep a deer 60, 100, 200 yards out. Not to mention the walk in. I can't drop out of the sky. And if I could, some would probably not like using that technology :poke:

entropyfx likes this.
  14. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly. Just look at all the different brands of bottled water that state "ozonated" on the label.

15. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been thinking about buying one to. I have a front loader which always has a smell to it. I also think about the fact that im putting my hunting clothes into the same washer that i have used for my work clothes,the kids clothes that can have god knows what on them. i think how well does my washer remove those smells. I think the ozone wash is just another part of a complete system. If i buy one i will post any info i learn about it

16. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i get ya but deer are way less likely to spook even if they went past you and the scent settled at 200-300 yards. I just believe in hunting deer not buying them w technology we don't need. If it suits you have at it, unless someone's hunting dif deer than me imo it's not necessary though

17. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  18. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Obviouly this is something to employ but extra precautions can't hurt. I extensively hunt the wind but I always scent free wash my clothes, get dressed at my hunting spot and always spray down with some kind of scent killer before every hunt.

19. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:
  20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My ozone machine came with two aeration stone diffusers, I might fill the washer pause the cycle and treat the water with ozone and add the scentless soap for a cycle before I wash the camo.