peep sight out of whack/ fixed broadheads

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Wolfpackhunter, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Wolfpackhunter

Wolfpackhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am new to bowhunting, and my peep sight got twisted. How exactly do the fix that. I don't want to start messing around with it without knowing exactly what to do. Also, I have started to tune in my broadheads. I am using 3 blade fixed broadheads. Any tips on getting them to aline exactly with the arrow fletchings? Or is it just going to be a tedious task?

2. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your archery shop should be able to put an extra twist in your string which may help the alignment of your peep. This won't always work and you can also get a rubber peep tube to keep it straight if you need to.

I've shot my 3 blade fixed heads in-line and not in-line with my fletchings. I found no difference in flight at all. It's ascetics and looks if you ask me. I will admit I do like them aligned. Just looks a little neater if you ask me.

Do you fletch your own arrows? I found an easy way, and a little harder but cleaner way to do it.

3. Wolfpackhunter

Wolfpackhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for the info, and no I do not fletch my own arrows. I have only had a bow now for maybe 10 weeks.

4. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you use a string loop often that can be twisted to help. As the string stretches you may need to rotate nock. Loosen serving up n open area. Insert pencils into the opening to keep string from closing. Remove nock, rotate n tie it back in. Pretty easy. Oh n push peep serving back together

5. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you aren't fletching your own arrows, I wouldn't worry about it. The blades and fletchings not lining up shouldn't affect arrow flight. You could remove the insert and then align the blades by gluing back in and adjusting. Just be careful not to use too much glue so you end up gluing the broadhead into the insert too.

6. graybeard

graybeard Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You've got to train the peep sight for a while. I've shot my new bow probably 150 times, and I still have to release tension and twist the peep occasionally.
    If it keeps doing it up until the season starts, I'll put a tube on it instead of taking a chance of coming to full draw on a deer without being able to aim.

7. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A piece of dental floss works good. Wrap it around the base of the threads on your broadhead. Wrap some around and screw the broadhead in. Add or take wraps out of the floss just mess with it to get the broadhead to tighten in different spots

8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    On the peep an easy fix that works sometimes is if you have string leeches or other silencers on your string you can slide the top one up or down a bit. It will kind of twist your string a little. Doesn't always work but if it's only off a little bit it might save you a trip to bow shop. Also don't carry your bow by the string. This can cause the peep to miss align.

9. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The blades aligning with the fletch is a myth. You can get good flight without it. If you want to tinker though, u could always sand or grind off a little insert to line them up. That being said, the insert needs to be flat when done tight and the weight difference might be a factor, but prob not.

10. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As your string settles in, and then later stretches, it is pretty common to have to add a twist to realign the peep. You can only do this with the string relaxed so you would need a press or have the shop do it. Just changing the d-loop position to pull it straight can work, but it's a work around and not a fix.

You do not need to line up your blades with the vanes. If you like how it looks go for it. You will not notice a difference in flight if you don't.

11. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Aligning BH blades with fletching will have zero effect on flight. I tried it back in the 1980s. What if I shoot a 2 blade BH or 4 fletch my arrows? It you do it just "because it looks cool", it's a you problem. But I have seen people not even consider a sight, stabilizer, etc. just because it didn't look cool. Accuracy kills, not looks.

With today's quality string materials and construction methods there is NO reason for your peep to turn/be misaligned. A bow press and 10-15 minutes it can be set right. If not, it is a string issue. Get a new one.

Putting a tubed peep is just asking for problems. They are loud, wear out and get snagged on brush. Have the tube pulled off just one time on you way to your stand and see. Most importantly, why would you purposely put something on your bow POINTED AT YOUR EYE. I need both of mine.

Take your bow to a shop or find someone with a press and get your peep setup right. Or better yet, get a press and do it yourself. It isn't that difficult.

12. mississippi hoyt shooter

mississippi hoyt shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are you shooting a wheel or a string peep