Arrow selection

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by bfooch, Jul 20, 2016.

1. bfooch

bfooch Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I have a question about my setup and what arrows I'm using for you guys who are a bit more savvy than me.
    I have a hoyt charger, 65lb draw. My arrows are currently carbon raiders(****s special) with a 400 spline at 8.4 gpi. I'm shooting 125 grain heads.
    I'm looking into getting new arrows as I kind of tore mine up practicing and just wanted some input as to whether r not staying at those weights would be a good idea for me.
    Not sure which arrows to get or if the 125 grain heads were a good call. Just wanted some input from people in the know before I went to my local shop so I had some idea of what to look for.
    Thanks guys

2. b_fitnik

b_fitnik Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot 350 spine at 65lb. you may be a bit weak at 400 especially with the 125gr broadhead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I shot 65lbs I shot an Easton Axis 340 with a 100gr head. I was a bit more accurate with a 100 grain vs a 125 shooting the same arrow. You might try different weights to see which one does better. If you like how your current arrows are shooting I'd just get a stiffer spine too.

4. theleo

theleo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How long do you want your arrows and what's your draw length? Those are just as important to arrow spine as your draw weight and point weight. Hard to make a recommendation without knowing those.

5. bfooch

bfooch Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry thought I put it up there, 24.5 arrow length

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Actually at 24.5 your probably just fine with a 400 and 125 up front at 65 pounds

7. b_fitnik

b_fitnik Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with trial153

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also agree with trail153. I would try some Easton FMJ's. I switch to those this off season & have never shoot better. I'm shooting a 60# Hoyt Spyder 30, 340 spine, 29" carbon to carbon, 100gr head. Total weight is 516gr.

9. bfooch

bfooch Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Have you had any problems with bending them? I was looking into those. Also, that's another question in my mind, should I be shooting 100 or 125

10. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    First, your probably on the stiff side at 24.5 with a 125 grain head. If you go to a hundred grain head you will be even stiffer. Stay with the 125's

Second on FMJ. They are a good shaft, however they aren't necessarily the best choice for all applications. For example, in a 24.5 shaft I think they are poor choice. There GPI is very high and with a standard insert and only 125 grains upfront your going to have poor FOC. Further more I am assuming you have a fairly short draw with a 24.5 arrow, so one of the heaviest GPI shafts out there may not be your best choice. A moderate weight shaft would probably work better and secure a more advantageous compromise.
    Secondly on FMJ, depending on your target and the amount that you shoot they will bend in some situations.

All to often on forums in arrow and broadhead discussions people say I use XYZ and love them ...you should to.
    Well that's not always they case.

11. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What he uses a 500 spine arrow? with the length of the arrow I think would that would put him very close to the right deflection. Then I think he could maybe use either a 100 or the 125 head. Maybe something like the Maxima Red's?

12. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't move down to .500 however I would look a more moderate weight shafts in .400.....like GT velocity or Easton hexx , BEA Carnivora ect...I would then add a brass insert for more weight up front and shoot whichever 100 or 125 grain head that floats your boat.