Rant!!! Subject Pro Shops

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Bow String Depot, May 8, 2016.

1. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Rant!!
    Subject Pro Shops (that ain't so pro) (Not all Pro Shops)
    Got a subject that gets our dander up every time.
    Pro Shops or some that think they are.
    Well it goes like this,
    A Pro shop gets a customer who has his bow and a set of strings (BSD of course). He drops it off and asks to have the strings installed and tuned. Only to get a call later that the strings are not the right length and he can't get the bow in tune or timed (blame it on the string maker). So after I called the Pro shop to find out they have no means of measuring the strings properly (on a ¼ inch post at 100 lbs). I had the customer ship them back to me. Well the strings were dead on the mark (I expected that we measure them 3 to 4 times before shipment). Piece of advice guys who start up a Pro Shop or ones that hire a tech learn to install strings and tune a bow. For the most part you can't just throw a good set of strings on and its good. You need to take steps to ensure that it is. Besides a good bow tech is where you make your money.
    That is my rant for today!
    Thanks for listening!!

2. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I here you!! I went to so many and they would piss Me off, I finally found a good one!! I found a better one when I started doing all My own work!!

3. mobowhunter14

mobowhunter14 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have one of them near me! When you buy a bow they just throw all the accessories on it and send it out the door, they don't even paper tune or any tuning. So I think I am going to go to Scheels soon and they said that they will look over my Mathews and make sure everything is in tune at NO cost! Only reason I didn't buy my bow from them is that my other dealer near me had a better price but if Scheels does good for me than that's where I will be buying from next.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love my local bow shop, the owner does a great job and knows his stuff.

5. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thats what I like to hear!

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The guy has had his shop in the same place for over 20 years, you don't last long in a small town if you don't do good work or screw people over. Tales and Trails in Zimmerman MN.

7. lgreenslade3

lgreenslade3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You won't regret going there. That's where I always go, all the tuning and everything is free of charge!

8. mobowhunter14

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds like they do great work which is what I like to hear! What kind of tuning have you had done there?

9. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hear ya Hutch. We could write a book on pro shop horror stories. It amazes me on how many don't know how to measure strings correctly. I love it when they send the strings back and they're twisted backwards.

10. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's why I bought all the tools and started doing all my own bow work. I am happier and my bows shoot great. Of course I use BSD strings and vouch for their quality, but I have heard stories like this with enough string makers to know it's the shops not the string maker. There are a lot of good shops, but unfortunately many bad ones too.

11. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is why I don't have a problem driving an hour and a half to Lancaster Archery. Two years ago I had them put new Winners Choice strings on my bow, and it shoots like a dream. Haven't had to touch a thing. Their techs are top shelf. Lancaster knows bows!

12. lgreenslade3

lgreenslade3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All i've asked is for paper tuning. I like to do all the tuning and stuff myself but they'll do just about anything you ask them to.

13. mobowhunter14

Dislikes Received:
    That's good to know that a company really cares about there customer!

14. Matr138920

Matr138920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also had an experience where I put a lot of money into my dream bow, and was given horrible service. So I took it down to another shop where it was properly set up, paper tuned and messed with until it and I shot perfectly. They also make their own custom strings and cables in house. Place is called Fisherman's Warehouse, oh and they build custom rods there and repair reels too. But the funny thing is that because of all that can go wrong will, I made the switch to trad, and haven't looked back.

15. Matr138920

Matr138920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Almost forgot its located at the south end of Columbus, Ohio.

16. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Drive by there every day to/from work... I've always wanted to stop but never have.

Will be checking it out.

17. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you think thats bad, let me tell you a little story about a local "pro" shop I have dealt with.

I have a shop where I buy my bows from. Being so close and the only Bowtech dealer in the area (i'm partial to Bowtech right now), I'm forced to go here if I want to see, shoot and buy a new Bowtech. Several years ago, I had an issue with a Bowtech Allegiance I bought there where the cam was rubbing the inside of the limb. New limbs were in order. They replaced the limbs and everything looked good. As I was driving down the road, I happened to look over in the passenger seat at the bow and noticed three huge gashes in the side of the riser. The bow is 3 months old, no way I ever did that to it. Called them and they completely denied any wrong doing. I took it back to them, and spoke to another person there. He matched the marks up with the press they used to fix the bow. I complained and talked to the owner and they eventually, days later, replaced the bow entirely.

Fast forward to a couple years ago when I had a limb delamination on a Destroyer. They replaced limbs. Several screws were oxidized and ended up stripped, so they replaced them. However they ran out of that screw, so they found some silver philips head screw that "worked" and through it on. I wasn't impressed and made my opinion known but they refused to actually get the right screws for it. I ended up going to fastenal and getting the right screws myself.

Thankfully there is another Bowtech dealer about 2 hours away that I will be buying my next bow from if I choose to stay with Bowtechs. I also have a great bow shop that sells Mathews and Elite about 15 minutes away. They're retired school teachers who love archery and do outstanding work. Maybe I'll buy a "cough cough" Mathews next time...

18. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    and you got room to talk? you treat you're customer like crap!

i'm talking about a posting 60X STARTED and it blow up in his face!

you should seen the text message 60X sent sent to his customers. yes some customer did post them up for every one to see.

19. mccula

mccula Newb

Dislikes Received:
    EDIT: So Chris from Lancaster archery contacted me personally and I can't say enough about how above and beyond he went to make everything right for me. I'm talking top notch, best customer service I've experienced anywhere from a bow shop. Thanks again Chris.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  20. jody5252

jody5252 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just a side note here... Almost all pro shops are good. The problem is that (all) pro shops have that young kid that works the evening/wknd. shift. Most of the time they are eager to learn, but lack the training, and there they are attempting to work on your $1000 Matthews, Hoyt, PSE, etc... Been there. Done that... Beware!