Only 8 months out of my strings?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BB4tw, Apr 20, 2016.

1. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The cable specifically. It is turning white and showing wear where it moves through the cable guard.

I've also got serving separation on a couple spots where there are sharp bends on the cam and mod but I guess that considered normal on a single cam bow.

I shoot some almost every day all year around and I'm good about keeping my strings waxed. Is only 8 months normal for my strings to be wearing out already?

Do I need to be replacing my cable slide? Are some bows harder on strings/cables than others?

My current set is from a company called Piranha. I hadn't heard of them before but they were recommended by the shop that put them on for me.

I haven't had this bow for a full year yet and I'm already looking at a third set of strings. The factory set was ruined by the cable slide being installed backwards and now the second set is showing wear already.

2. gdluck413

gdluck413 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What king of bow, draw, arrows shot... More detail. Specifically how many shots. At the least, a set of strings should last 500 shots. This is with proper storage. If you question your strings, change them.

3. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot 700 to a 1000 shot's a week and I get about a year out of My strings, I could get more out of them but I just replace them after a year. What bow do you have, any pic's of the wear on the string and I have never heard of that string maker? I use HogWire strings never had any problems with them, look them up he does a outstanding job. I just seen your sig and the bow you shoot.

4. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Jennings Reliant. It was bought new last June. Yes, new. I happened across an old Bear/Jennings dealer that still had old inventory that they were very willing to deal on.

It's set at about 62# draw weight, 30" draw length.

IBO speed is 302fps, Brace is 8", ATA is 34". All measurements are within specifications.

I'm not sure what to guess for arrows shot. Like I said, I shoot almost every day but it can range from 20 minutes to 2 hours and everything in between. I generally shoot 3 arrow rounds. I suppose an estimate of 1000 shots per month isn't totally out of the ballpark.

I store my bow on a wall rack. It hangs from two pegs by the riser.

5. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I sure hope your getting more then 500 shot's out of your string!! I would have to replace mine once a week if you only get 500 shot's on a string and cable set.

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  7. gdluck413

gdluck413 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Now that I understand a little more and with proper maintenance, waxing your string, you shouldn't have issues at this point. What I was wondering, and yes I have had people do this with new flagship bows; Leave the bow in the trunk at 100 temps, shoot about 3gpp arrow weight, etc... I'm not saying you should go by amount of months shot, but rather how many arrows sent down range. Everyone on here has their favorite strings, but the two I would bet money on come with a resume a mile long. 60X and ExWolerine, (Park n Son Archery I think) if he has caught up from so many people ordering his strings. I don't know about you, but when a Person has to stop taking orders, because he is to busy and backed up, that says something to me. I use 60X on all my bows and love them. Both can be found on AT. I'm not accusing anyone of improper storage, but how long did it sit at the proshop in a box, or on a rack? Jennings is a nice rig. My cousin never had issues with his. If those are factory threads, I would change them anyway. Jmo good luck and keep us updated on this. I'm always looking to read up on solutions.

8. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I try and wax a minimum of twice a month but I'll also wax more often if needed due to rain, high humidity, or if it starts to feel dry.

I wondered about the guard itself. If a replacement might be beneficial.

Thanks for the tips.

9. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good info here. To answer your questions, I've never left it in a hot vehicle. The factory strings were replaced shortly after I got the bow. It's the new custom strings that are wearing. I've never shot an arrow that was less than 6gpp.

The hard one to quantify is the actual number of shot sent down range. It's quite possible that the wear I'm seeing is perfectly within reason when looked at from that perspective.

I also have had good experiences dealing with 60X. My next set will come from them. I only tried the Piranha strings based on my shop's recommendation.

10. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feel it is pretty normal. I shoot daily year-round as well, and I notice the same type of minute wear and tear on strings and cables. For me it is often only shown in the serving, which can be fixed pretty easily by a shop.

11. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Can you take some pics? Some wear is completely normal. Just seems like an awful short lifespan.

12. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As a Professional String builder I would have to say that is a very short life span for a string. I agree with Fitz we need pics so we can help you better

Hutch

13. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got strings from these guy's also top-notch set's no problem buying a set from them again.

14. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, after some good ideas here, a few texts, and a couple of phone calls, it seems that my trouble is due to two reasons. A lot of shooting and a cable guard that is known to wear on strings if the bow is shot a lot.

I'm going to try choosing a different string material and a Saunders Hyper-glide guard to see if that combination will last any longer.

15. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a picture of the wear on the cable that has me concerned. I could probably get by with replacing it by itself.

There doesn't appear to be any trouble with the string at all so I will probably keep it as a spare.

Attached Files:

16. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Change to a new set of custom strings and before you install change to a Saunders Hyperglide

Hutch

17. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot year round and shoot Bow String Depot string/cables. I change strings once a year usually, sometimes twice. Mainly because I get bored with the colors, not because they need it. I always keep my old string for a backup.

I would definitely say ditch that slide. It looks rough.

18. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ohh. I have a very similar looking cable slide and my strings are looking the same. It's pure teflon and figured it would be better than the stock PSE. Hmm, thinking it's not better.

Well, my new GX2 should be here next week, so that will fix that issue anyways.