Just curious

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by kurveball18, Apr 8, 2016.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not really an issue but more of just being curious. So today I went to get get my bow really dialed in at an indoor range early this morning when nobody was there. Used my range finder and was shooting at exactly 20 yards. I had a little orange sticker as my target that was the size of a quarter. Once I got things dialed in, I could never really hit it inside the sticker. I was always just on the outside. Alot of times i'm touching the sticker but never really in it. It was kind of funny at times because I was just drilling these shots but my arrows were always on the outer edges. I'm perfectlly happy cuz i'm shooting pretty well at a quarter sized dot and pretty much touching it every single time but was just curious why its like that. I've heard of other guys have this as well.

Thoughts?

2. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    pick a spot inside the quarter size spot to aim at. that should pull your hits in closer.

3. Clem

Clem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know what you mean, I have five small dots that I painted on my target each one about 1" in size statistically I should get even distribution within my group which is about 1.5" size so I would end up with some hits in the very middle of my target dots... but no they are always around the outside. So I guess that "Aim small Miss small is true" I need a smaller dot on the inside and then a pair of glasses!

Clem

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do you try and hold your pins still or let them float? I used to have a similar issue and it was because I was trying to stay perfectly still and fight my float. I'd punch the trigger and be close but never dead on. I became better once I learned to trust my float.

5. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a similar problem but really only after about a dozen arrows.

6. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. I think i agree with the aim small, miss small statement. If i were to make my dot say a 3" circle then i'd be inside it about 99% of the time and i'd be like Hell yea i'm damn good. lol

At 20 yards my pin pretty much covers up the target so it would be pretty hard to aim at a dot on the little circle. I'd definately need a scope.

Next time I shoot i'm going to think about what Fitz mentioned to make sure i'm not punching the trigger. I'm pretty sure i'm not because i've gotten alot more comfortable with having my finger lay across the trigger.

Thanks guys. Its not an issue but I can honestly say, my Halon 6 is really starting to grow on me. I sold my HTR to get the Halon and my HTR was so fricken accurate. But the Halon is a really close 2nd.

7. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Another question for you guys. So when I was shooting a few days ago I was at an indoor range and as mentioned I was pretty much dead nuts around the bullseye at 20 yds. So today I go to the local park to shoot outside and was at 20 yards but was consistently about 1.5-2 inches low about 80% of the shots. Is it common to shoot differently outside vs. inside? I looked at all my points of contact and made sure my site ring was centered just like I always do. Everything was consistent that I could tell from when I shot a couple days ago. Knowing my luck, i'll go shoot outside in a week and everything will be dead nuts again. LOL

8. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    id bet a buck that its your release. whenever i miss. its because i had poor release. I am a trigger puncher, and it works for me. but when i miss Xs its because my punch was a sloppy one. haha as far as shooting low. everyone has there bad days. thats why it takes me at lest a week to sight in. i make sure that day after day my shots are hitting the same spot

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  9. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    yea thats what I was thinking. I remember last year when I had off days and then the next time I went out everything was fine again even though I SWEAR I was doing everything the same. I never changed my site as i'm the same way as you. I want to make sure i'm the same multiple days in a row. Right now I have the HHA tape selection tape on my site. I use the 20 and 40 yd method so right now I just have my numbers wrote down where my spots are. Once I know i'm consistent multiple of days in a row then I put my site tape on.

Whats funny is that I shot better at 40 yards today than I did at 20 LOL

10. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe you're not following through and your shots are dropping. I have that issue sometimes. I have a habit of dropping my bow as soon as I release.

11. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I remember past posts that talked about their shots being different from inside to outside. Don't know if there are any similarities?

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good question, I have no idea...I never miss dead center of my 1/4" dot inside 50 yards. Are you trying? I'd say try harder.

13. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:
    Covey is a humble man so I'll brag for him. He buries the X out to 100.

14. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Um, I'm pretty sure you'd have to show me video of this. lol

15. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:
    The Man, The Legend, The Covey Master

16. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have nothing to prove but to myself, besides I don't like showing off. I grew tired of inspiring shock and awe a long time ago.

Thanks Jeepwillys. Let me fix that for you:
    The Man, The Legend (in his own mind), the CoveyMaster.
    :lol: :lol:

17. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm really enjoying the massive feelings of love that I'm feeling here, especially since for once it doesn't involve me!!!!!!!!

Sorry covey.

18. Jeepwillys

Dislikes Received:
    Oh such modesty. :poke:

19. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Good point, I will definately remember that next time I shoot. I have a habit of doing that I think sometimes and I dont even realize it. Being a 6" brace height its just more noticible to me (maybe)