String change

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JLhunts, Apr 5, 2016.

1. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive ordered a new set of strings for my elite synergy. Mainly to have to old ones as a back up but also just to change the color. Im going with worlds best strings. There is a shop doing it for me and ill be there while its being done. Im just wondering what the steps are to install and put bow back into specs and start the tuning process. Just curious more then anything on what to expect.

2. patches2565

patches2565 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For me personally I measure the peep and accessories installed so that,way I can put them back in the right place. Then I take the string off and compare them. After that I measured the new string to make sure it's the length required. I then change the string then begin tuning.

ATA, timing etc. Then I mount the rest and set center shot. Then I paper tune. When that's good I bare shaft then walk back. I did this to my host and it shoots wonderfully.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So my bow shoots good now would i be able to leave my rest at the height it is now to find my new dloop location? Assuming the string is proper length when i check it

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Unless your bow is out of tune right now or your current threads are really bad, a new set of threads shouldn't change much if anything at all.

5. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here is my steps:

-Take off old string/put on new string
    -Measure ATA and BH and get those back to factory
    -Adjust Cam lean
    -Adjust cam timing
    -Tie d loop back on using measurements from old string (tweaking might be necessary until strings are shot in)
    -Put peep back in
    -shoot 25-30 shots to settle strings
    -Measure again and make any adjustments
    -Go through rest tuning process (shouldn't be off by much if any, really adjusting d loop more than rest)

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I make sure the old and new strings are exactly the same length. When I take the old string off I lay it beside the new string and mark where the peep is and the d-loop are with a sharpie. Then I install the peep and d-loop in those positions. Put the strings and cables back on and things should then be close. If the string are of good quality and pre-stretched you should have any issues after that. If you do it should be very minor adjustments.

7. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you trust the shop it shouldn't be an issue. Some of the tips above are good. I would advise that you don't necessarily want the new and old bow strings to be the same length. If the old set is all stretched out you definitely do not want the new ones to match.

8. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is exactly how it should be done. Good post.