Self filming

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by spiker44, Mar 25, 2016.

1. spiker44

spiker44 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys. I want to start to self film my hunts. I thought I would start this spring on a turkey hunt. What would be a good camera that will mount to my bow. I see that a lot of BHOD guys use EPIC or Tactacam My friend last year tried a I-phone mount for his bow but every thing looked a mile away. What are some of your thoughts? thanks

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tactacams are nice because they don't have as wide of a viewing angle like an iPhone, GoPro and many other cameras have. I haven't personally used one yet, but I know they guys on the team like them so far.

I did use my iPhone for a number of years. It was alright, but as you said, if the deer were out past 20 yards, it was hard to see much.

3. spiker44

spiker44 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I see they make a stabilizer housing for the tactacam. At least it will point in the right direction. LOL I wonder if they are high def?

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Full HD @ 30 fps, and 60 fps @720 :tu:

5. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you turn the go pro off of wide setting it isn't as bad. Not a huge fan of bow mounted cameras unless you are doing a second angle. You can get a good camcorder for the same price as one of them

6. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Totally agree. I tried one of those Moultrie cams a few years ago, camera quality was OK but aiming it off the brim of your hat was next to useless. Went back to a camcorder mounted off the end of my stand.

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tactacam would work really well for you.

8. spiker44

spiker44 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Sharpeyesam I have been doing more research on the cams and tactacam looks good. I have sony handi cam I am going to by some pods for and see how that works also. Thanks guys

9. spartanhuntr

spartanhuntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Been awhile since I logged in so this is stale, but I will weigh in. I bought the Tactacam last year and put it in the stabilizer housing. It worked "ok". I wouldn't buy it again. It is hard to tell if it is on or off. If you turn it on and take the shot right away it is great. I had two different situations last year where I turned it on and then had to wait for the buck and it turned off or I stopped pointing the camera.

On the first one, I had 4pt and 6 pt walk in to a transition area about 40 yards from me coming my way. I was letting them walk but thought I would film them. So, I turned it on. They browsed for awhile. I hung my bow back up. WHen they started to move I grabbed the bow. I aimed without drawing to ensure I got them on camera. When I looked back up there was a shooter cruising in after the two little guys. I took my shot. When I went to my cabin to let the buck expire, I tried to watch the video and found out it turned itself off.

On the second two bucks were sparring. A shooter and a young 7 pt. They sparred and then laid down. So, I hung up my bow. When the shooter got up. I thought I was filming but nope.

Finally. When I used it for range practice the shot sound like a cannon and it isn't clear.

My two cents. Buy a efficient small camcorder with a long optical focus. Buy a VERY NICE ARM and floating head. Self film with that. My plan for next season. Just got my new camera arm this week.