Tune question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by killer chill-r, Mar 14, 2016.

1. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I traded today for a Pse Drive with 60# limbs. The rest seemed to be way off so I did a walk back tune. Got it splitting the string at 5yrds & 15yrds Maxima Red 350's. But at 15yrds the arrows seem to hit at an angle on the target. So I decided to check it with the paper & im getting a left tear. I've shot both a 400 spine & the 350's both give me a left tear. I've also check for fletching contact & have none. I haven't shot it past 15yrds yet to see how it shoots. Should I rely on the paper tune or the paper tune?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  2. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Left tear would indicate that the rest needs to move to the right and/or draw weight needs to be reduced slightly.

Since it's happening with both 350 and 400 spine arrows, I would lean toward it being the rest.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  3. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I never trust paper. Actually haven't paper tuned in 10+ years. IMO paper gives you only an instant in arrow flight. I can put my bow so out of tune the arrow wiggles enough to make you laugh. I know if I put the paper at the right distance I will get a perfect tear. If you put paper every yard from 1-10 then it would tell me something. I walkback tune at 2 yards (3-4' from bow) and 40 (or 30 or 50 yards depending on your skill) then BH tune. Starting at 5 yards the arrow has time to correct and at 15 it doesn't show much difference.

I do bareshaft tune if I have issues getting BH and FP hitting the same at 40 yards.

4. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't paper tune either. I french tune with field points then fine tune via a broadhead tune using a fixed blade broadhead.

Just remember that when moving the rest, a small adjustment can still be too much. You can accidentally jump over the sweet spot and not see any useful results.

5. killer chill-r

Dislikes Received:
    I found out why couldn't get it to tune. Fletching contact. It a QAD hunter on it. I went this morning & had a HDX put on it & paper tuned in 3 shots for bullet hole at 5' then moved the paper to 15yrds & still shooting bullet holes at 15yrds.

6. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Where were you getting contact? I have a Hunter rest and haven't had any contact problems with my setup.

7. killer chill-r

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it was making contact. I had two perfect lines on my fletchings from the launcher arm. Now it shoots perfect.

8. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had the same problem with the Hunter. I think the issue is with the launcher arm hitting the rest and bouncing back. Supposedly you can prevent it by making sure there's a gap between the launcher arm and the shelf. I gave up and got a Smackdown Pro.

9. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You are correct. A gap between the launcher and the riser shelf will prevent the Hunter from bouncing back. At least that's been my experience.

An upgrade is always a good option to take if available. Glad you got it working, killer chill-r