Weed-wacker line for arrow weight?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Junior93, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Junior93

Junior93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just saw an article on outdoor life of people who are using strands of weed-wacker cord to up the weight of their arrows. What do all think of this? Would it work? Would it mess with the way that your arrow flies? In the article it says that it still shoots well. I would have though adding something inside of the shaft would alter the accuracy of the arrow (aside from the obvious drop difference that would be seen from the extra weight).

2. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have in the past used .25 cal air rifle pellets to give me more foc. But I don't about running line the length of the arrow.

3. Govtrapper

Govtrapper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The weedeater string will knock your nocks right out lol. Happened several times with me.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

4. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Now I can be cheap sometimes, but this seems a bit over the top. Just buy heavier arrows lol.

5. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The string would have to be glued onto the back of the insert to keep it from sliding around. It also isn't the right diameter so I would expect it to throw the spin balance off a tad. Adding a brass washer or to behind the tip seems like a better option.

6. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I saw the same article. The picture showed them putting three strands of line in the arrow shaft. My first thought was that it would actually retard penetration to have loose things in the shaft because the energy would dissipate. Like a dead blow hammer.

7. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hahaha. i just had the mental image of a arrow hitting a deer and coming to a dead stop and dropping to the ground with zero penetration. hahaaha that would be funny. maybe a bit of a sand sound to the impact.
    I dont think it would have the effect a deadblow has though. the sand in the deadblow is just to stop the rubber hammer from bouncing back.

8. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stickbow shooters have been using stuff for years. Some commercially made.

9. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My uncle told me back in the day of over draws & things, that they used to take the aluminum arrows & dip them
    In hot wax to fill the inside of the shaft with wax. He said they shot slow as heck but penetration was crazy.

10. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. I know a few years ago , one company was offering arrow weight tubes. No idea if they are still available. Maybe do a search for them.

11. Junior93

Junior93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen the arrow weight tubes as well. I am happy with the set up that I have for now. My last mule deer the arrow was pinned into a tree on the other side of where the deer was standing. I just saw the article and thought I would see what everybody else thought about it, I had never thought of putting anything else inside of the shaft to up the weight other than an arrow tube. It was an interesting read and the authors friend who was using it claimed that he got more penetration and still good accuracy. Personally if I wanted more weight I would just move to a pile driver or a deep impact.

12. Matr138920

Matr138920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can also use air hose from a fish tank, but if your trying to up your weight I would use either brass inserts or heavier points. You can get weight tubes from 3 rivers archery in addition to heavyvfield tips, and vpa makes some awesome broad heads from 100-300 gr.

13. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Get inserts that are threaded all the way through.
    Go to the local hardware store and buy bolts that are about 2 inches long
    Thread the field point into the insert
    Install red Loctite to the end of the bolt
    Thread the bolt into the rear of the insert until it hits the bottom of the field point
    Back the bolt out a few turns
    Remove the field point
    Let dry / Loctite set
    Reinstall the field point
    Cut the bolt down until the entire assembly (point / insert / bolt) is at the desired weight
    Glue insert into arrow
    Tune the bow to the arrow
    Shoot and be happy
    Rest easy at night knowing you don't have weed eater line flopping around in your arrow and that you did it the right way