Chrono?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Oldcarp, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been looking into buying a Chronograph. I have been looking at the Caldwell, Chrono F1 and the prochrono.
    Anybody have any experience with any these.

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Will you use a chrono often enough to warrant the expense of buying one?

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought the Caldwell a few weeks ago. Had to buy the infrared light kit after getting it to make it work in my basement shop, it seems picky about light. I believe they sell a kit that has the chrono, light kit, and a tripod......that's probably the way to go.

Now that I have the light kit it works great and is very consistent, no complaints.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  4. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would go with prochrono. I've had the F1 & used it all the time. I use it for my air rifles & bows.

5. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Besides my bow and crossbow I do a little reloading for my '06 and 243. I can find those three chronographs for just under $100. Its more for my curiosity then anything else

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had all of them. I would stay clear of the Caldwell, like it was said above its very picky about light conditions. I have also found it inconsistent through shot strings.
    The pro chrono I have has have been reliable and consistent however they have ran a hair slow when used with archery equipment.
    The shooting chrony I have is the blue beta model and its have worked very well for me, of the three it was the most consistent.

With any of them if you plan on indoor use your best bet is get a light kit or build one.

7. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your help you guys. Im probably going to stay away from the Caldwell. Im doing a little more research on the shooting crony and prochrono

8. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    have had the original Chrony since 1980s and still works great. use it with bow, pistol and rifle. can't go wrong with it.

9. Ram_n_arrows

Ram_n_arrows Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My shooting chrony reads consistently with the biggest jumps from low to high being 4 fps.
    the Caldwell one is a no go for me. Guy at the local shop had one and it read my bow at 268. And then read an error the next shot. I told him I was all set shooting again. My shooting chrono consistently reads my bow at 284

10. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Caldwell kit and it is very consistent. Ive never had it error out once. I like that you can plug it into your phone and store data on different bows, guns, etc. perhaps it works better when you have the light kit. I believe it does come in a little slower than the others.