4 fletched arrows?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Junior93, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Junior93

Junior93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everybody,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the reason that some people use 4 vanes instead of three on their arrows? Is there certain circumstances where this can be beneficial or is it just for cosmetic purposes?

2. Govtrapper

Govtrapper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was using 4 fletch because I was using low profile vanes an wanted the extra steering. I didn't have any fletch contact as I did this.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

3. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you are using a fixed blade broadhead with 4 blades, it is mathematically beneficial to have a 4 fletch vane on your arrow.
    I don't prefer 4 fletch because of increased weight and noise on the arrow.
    Just my personal preference.

4. Bulldog18

Bulldog18 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    People use four fletch to have lower profile vanes and more steering from the vanes. As far as four blades and four vanes, doesn't matter. Shot Slick Trick Magnum 100 grain(4 blade) for years with arrows with three Blazer vanes. Shot accurately for us out to 60 yards.

5. Simsboro14

Simsboro14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with bulldog

6. Junior93

Junior93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So would it help stabilize my arrows more to change my jig to the four fletch since is shoot the smaller X2 blazer vanes because of clearance issues?

7. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Because of the spacing and angles 4 vanes would give you more of a clearance problem than 3. If you want more steering while maintaining a lower profile vane, I'd go with 3" or 4" vanes.

I would also resolve the clearance problem rather than adjusting your arrows to get past the problem. What is the clearance problem, hitting your rest? Would moving the fletchings more towards the nock end of the arrow help?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  8. Junior93

Junior93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No it hits my one cable that is near the rest. I have a QAD and love it, i have never had it fail or give me reason for concern. When I took my bow in to the bow shop they told me just to turn the nock in the arrow so that it fixes the problem and did not give me any other advice. When I did this it worked, and my reason for the interest in four fletched arrows is that my friend was having the same issue with the same bow and was able to have better luck with 4 fletched arrows.

9. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the great thing about fletching your own arrows is you can use what you like and what works for you. if you like the idea of four vanes or feathers, put a couple arrows together and see how they work for you. If they fly great and that's what you like, go for it.

10. Junior93

Junior93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My other question that many of you that fletch your own arrows is about helical. Do you find that its is worth investing in the extra clamps to get a helical clap as well?

11. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It gives the arrow extra stability as well as more clearance. I switched to vane tec 3" super spine vanes and I have noticed a difference for sure I don't think I will go back to a 3 fletch.

12. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    highly recommend getting a helical clamp. Puts a nice spin on the arrow and in my experience contributes to greater accuracy.