broadhead/field tip grouping

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jbowhntr, Feb 7, 2016.

1. jbowhntr

jbowhntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all,

I have a problem I don't understand and think it might be a tuning issue. Below is a pic of two groups. The left group is my muzzy mx3's, the one on the right is my field tips (both 100 grain, same shafts and vanes). The broad heads group a lot better than the field tips. I'm thinking the forward steering of the muzzy's is correcting a tuning problem.

I'm shooting 60 lbs, Easton Bloodline 400 with Blazers. Its a hybrid cam system on a PSE Premonition, whisker biscuit rest.

It was slightly brezzy when I shot these groups at 40 yards.

I guess it is a nice problem to have as usually shooters have the opposite effect between fields and broad heads, I would like to figure it out though.

Thanks in advance for input.

Attached Files:

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You got lucky shooting 3 broadheads at the same spot! That would have cost me at least one arrow for sure!!!!!

My first thought is that 400's are to light a shaft for 60#. I shoot 60# and use a 340 shaft.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Could be a couple of things. Whats your draw length? I would number your arrows too and then shoot the groups again. That way you can see if there is one that is a flier. You have 3 that are close and two that a little outside but that could be a variance in the arrow or just shooter error. Numbering will help to see if the arrow might be a culprit. Also you can spray the fletching with foot powder just to be sure you are not contacting any thing. You are right in that 40 yards is plenty of time for the arrow to correct. How are your 20 yard groupings?

4. jbowhntr

jbowhntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My 20 yard groups are good, or gooder than my 40 (lol, little grammar humor). I did notice a wear pattern developing on my hen vanes (the two furthest from my riser), my cock vane is clear. I'm guessing it is the biscuit? As I am typing this, I'm realizing that there is another thing I am noticing and did not mention. My pins are a good 1/4" off center to the right looking down the string and shaft (I'm lefty). Is the arrow maybe crashing the right side of the biscuit, suggesting week spine? I think my brace height is 5 3/4". Does the arrow flex that much in that short of a distance?

5. jbowhntr

jbowhntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    27.5" draw length

6. jbowhntr

jbowhntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ya, how do you shoot groups without trashing arrows? I tried shooting different spots on the target, but that doesn't give you a good grouping result. I practice with all my gear on also, try to make it as realistic as possible.

7. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    have you broadhead tuned? Dang near impossible to screw in a broadhead and expect it to hit where your field tips are

8. jbowhntr

jbowhntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, broad head tuned at 10 feet and ten yards, did fields at same time to get same results between the two. At 20, I'm dead on with both. At 40 I'm dead on with broad heads, all over the place with fields. At 60 I'm "in there" with both, but no consistent grouping.

9. elkguide

Dislikes Received:
    I do not shoot two broadheads at the same do no matter what. If they are flying as they should, you're going to be throwing one away. With a whisker biscuit you do not have a target rest either.

10. jbowhntr

jbowhntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    "With a whisker biscuit you do not have a target rest either"

So the biscuit is not a good deal for consistency? I would have to agree that it seems kinda sketchy, drop away would probably more accurate which is what I need for hunting. I sure do like the full capture thing the biscuit provides, and I hate having something that is mechanically inclined to fail when the shot presents itself. What is the compromise?

I might have some 400 spine bloodlines and a whisker biscuit for sale soon!

Thanks to everyone for responses.

11. Govtrapper

Govtrapper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry but I have to agree with elkquide the biscuit isn't helping if your looking for full containment look at the vapor trail pro v. Also you may be just a tad underspined. When I broadhead tune I just use one then 3 field tips an just me I put in 1 bare shaft then I tune all 3 to hit together. It can be done.

Also sorry if I missed it but what bow are you shooting

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

12. elkguide

Dislikes Received:

SORRY??????????

Agreeing with me should be an automatic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Govtrapper

Govtrapper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nope lol. But when your rite your rite

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

14. jbowhntr

jbowhntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    PSE Premonition, left hand, 60 pounds. 400 spine Easton bloodline arrows, 100 grain heads

15. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Every chart I've come across #400 spine is fine for your setup.
    I would put feild points on all of your arrows and mark them.
    Shoot all of them twice and take the frequent flyers out of the test group.
    Put your broadheads back on and shoot at 1" spots.
    I doubt that your WB is a problem.
    But check your clearance.
    Sometimes as strange as it seems it can be psychological, and you focus more on your BH shots than your feild points.

16. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's not true at all. If you have a properly set up bow and bareshaft flying with fletched to 20 you'd be hard pressed to find a head that won't fly well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Blaming the WB would be an easy out, but that's not your problem. I don't hunt with field points, so I see no reason to practice with them. My Muzzy 3 blade broadheads (practice heads) are as accurate as I need them to be out of my WB. I wouldn't use any other rest for HUNTING. No future in shooting the same spot. lol

Attached Files:

18. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The one nice thing about practicing with field points is after getting your bow absolutely dialed in from a tuning perspective, it's so much easier to practice with them as opposed to practicing with BHs... less wear and tear on a target, and certainly MUCH easier to pull them. :)

19. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes but he hasn't stated whether or not he has done much tuning.. But yeah after bareshaft it's surprising if one won't fly well, like in this case

20. jbowhntr

jbowhntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot to purchase foot spray in town today, but I checked out the clearance between the blazers and the riser, I've only got about an 1/8". Is that too close? to get more I would need to push rest away a little. My arrows are running parallel with the line on the shelf and the line that would be the berger hole on other bows.

I was an avid bow hunter when I was in my 20's, but got out of it to muzzle load hunt. It's been about 10 years since I started back up and have only been shooting since December. Maybe just need to practice more and get form down.

Thanks for the help.