Blazer vanes on Hoyt Charger - clearance issue

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TheArtist, Jan 30, 2016.

1. TheArtist

TheArtist Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all,

I have one of those niggly issues I just can't seem to resolve. I have a Hoyt charger 2015 model and I absolutely love it, however I am frustrated at this point. After adjusting my rest for centre shot, everything is perfect, except for the fact that my fletching does not clear all of the cables.

I got a different cable slide that pulls the cables a tad further away, which helps but I still have a clearance issue. Plus, I don't like using a non-standard cable slide that pulls the strings more taught as at some point I might put too much stress on the limbs, possibly beyond factory settings. Why is there such little room for play on these bows?

I heard some say to twist the nocks slightly clockwise until the vanes clear the string, but is this the best solution? Or should I get other vanes or thinner arrows? What is the most recommended approach to resolve this problem?

My setup is as follows:

• 2015 Hoyt Charger, completely standard setup – except for the cable guard which I don't want to use.
    • Trophy Taker rest
    • Blazer vanes

Please also see the attached photo.

Thanks a mil.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  2. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Twist the knock so the cock vane is pointing out away from the cables. Creates a little extra clearance. I had the same issue when I had a charger. Another solution is to get a more low profile vane.

3. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As said, turn the knock or switch to a different vane.
    I've had 2 bows where blazer clearance was an issue, I just went to a 3" vane.

4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same set up with blazers. Maybe consider switching to them. I have never had clearance issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  5. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is your rest set correctly?

Sent from my SM-S820L

6. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Turning your cock vane out on a drop away is likely to create even more issues. I've always shot Blazers and on 5-6 different hoyts I've never seen one make cable contact. What did you do to adjust for center shot?

7. TheArtist

TheArtist Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I did have it in to be paper tuned at the shop, but it came back with the clearance issue. They did the tune in and vane replacement (to the Blazers) at the same time. So, not sure if they tuned it in with another type of fletching. They then recommended the other cable guard to fix the problem. I still feel that the bow should be able to shoot these vanes without issues, they are so popular, how can the bow not have enough clearance for them??

8. TheArtist

TheArtist Newb

Dislikes Received:
    After the shop paper tuned it and I noticed the clearance issue, I did some adjustment to see if it made any difference. I did this by tying a string from around the top limb bolt to the bottom so that the string makes a line, just left of center (in line with the slightly left-offset cam of the Hoyts), and then nocked a cut-off arrow and adjusted the dropaway rest until the arrow points exactly at the string. The string was basically strung at the very foremost point of the bow. Do you think there could be an issue with this method?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  9. TeamFATBOY

TeamFATBOY Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would try French Tuning your bow and see if that corrected the center shot first with the original cable slide.

10. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I find it highly impossible that they paper tuned it while making cable contact. If I paid for this service THEY would be correcting it. If the fletch is making contact, it is not tuned and definitely not paper tuned which requires clean/square flight... I'm definitely not good enough to be much help over the Internet, maybe if in person but there are guys far more experienced with this. I wouldn't be happy in your shoes, hope you can get some help.

11. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Easiest solution to the problem- twist the knock so the cock vane is out. Idk what someone said about this creating more problems with a drop away is incorrect. You can shoot it in any way you want you just need to have it tuned to what you're shooting and shoot all the arrows the same.. I did this and could stack arrows at 100 yards with my charger. You shouldn't need to change cable guards or anything like that. If you're really concerned about it, shoot a longer low profile vane..

12. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have the same issue with my parker.just rotate the nock.then check to see if the vane touches the arrow holder if you have one on you bow. I took the one my ripcord came with off.felt like I was getting contact. I'll be switching vanes soon anyways. I have blazers on my low profile Easton axis arrow. I thought the switch to a small arrow would work to.it did not.

13. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This. ^