check this out and tell me if it looks right

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by huntress75, Jan 23, 2016.

1. huntress75

huntress75 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_1110.jpg IMG_1111.jpg

I asked for my bow to be set up when I ordered it. It should have been set for a 24.5 draw length and 45 draw weight. after getting it in and checking it out it seems like its set more around 26 and over 50 lbs. I have shot my girlfriends bow many times and it feels draw length very close to hers. (26dl/50dw) Naturally, I asked her to check mine out. First thing she said was it felt like more draw weight than hers. We have a ton of snow here in Kentucky (15 inches) but as soon as I can I'm gonna take it to my local shop and have them set it up for me. my question to you guys is from this pic and the owners manual what does it appear to be set if for draw length?

2. ath1089

ath1089 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I would say it's set at 26 right now you would have to take out those two screws and set it at the 7.5 spot to get your 24 1/2 dl.

3. huntress75

huntress75 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    that is what I was thinking as well. when I emailed the shop they claimed it had indeed been set. that he "watched him do it". so my wing span is 64... depending on which method you go by it can be 24.5 or 25.5. 64/2.5=25.6 and then the 64-15/2.0=24.5. I figure a good starting point would be 25? I know they usually come from the factory at 26, any idea what the draw weight from factory usually is? looking at the limb bolts the markings seems to be out four lines. my girlfriends is set a 50 lbs and when looking at hers it is about around 5 lines.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  4. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can change the weight pretty easy. Just back out tiller bolts til you get it where you need

5. huntress75

huntress75 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks. I may try that. right now I have to fight it to draw it back and that's dangerous in regards to torque and to my shoulder and arm.

6. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you use a D loop? And if so are you taking that into consideration ? The best way to check your draw length is with a measuring arrow that your pro shop should have. And when its checked you want to use your release, hooked to a D loop assuming you are using one! All bows nor shooters are the same so keep that in mind. If you back out your limb bolts be carefull! I suggest taking a white or silver marker and marking the bolt head so you can be sure how many turns you went! One turn out may be all you need! Good luck

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  7. huntress75

huntress75 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I use a D loop. Right now I'm using a Tru Fire Patriot Release but I'm going to switch to an Edge before hunting this spring. once all this snow clears I'm going to go down and let the shop set things up for me. I'm kind of nervous about messing with the limb bolt. I don't wanna get the timing all outta wack. Ive watched vids on how to measure and make sure you get them even but id rather my buddy Phil just do it. Hes a great guy and runs the shop close to me. I bought Full metal Jacket 500 arrows with 100 grain field points and they cut them at 25. I know I'm somewhere in the ball park of 24.5 and 25.5 so those arrows should be fine correct? I know some shoot arrows shorter and some go a bit longer.

8. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of people shoot their draw length for arrow length arrows.
    I prefer to have mine an inch longer.
    I know that gives me less speed but I like my broadhead to be past my hand when I shoot.

9. huntress75

huntress75 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'm gonna go with the 25 draw length. its kinda in between the two calculations. if that feels comfy I'm gonna roll with it. lol.i was going to set the draw length myself but one of the screws is kinda hard to get to and I have no Loctite on hand for the set screws after I move them. I'm also gonna have the shop check my cam timing. after setting my weight down it looks like one side may be slightly off. and I do mean just slightly. one side is dead center of the two timing marker lines and the other side is slightly right but still close to being inside the lines. ill try to post some pics so you guys can see what I mean. let me know what you think

IMG_1155.jpg IMG_1156.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  10. ath1089

ath1089 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    From the looks of it either it's just barely barely off or its fine but it's very hard to tell form those pic angles.

11. huntress75

huntress75 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I know. sorry about that. I'm not sure what sort of pics to take other than from straight above the cam. its ever so slightly off and I was wondering if it would be ok where it is or should I attempt to fix it? I'm not sure if it would need to be tightened or loosened.

12. huntress75

huntress75 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_1177.jpg IMG_1181.jpg

hopefully these pics maybe show it a little better.

13. ath1089

ath1089 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You would have to press it a twist the cable on the off side tighter a 1/2 turn or one full turn at most. Being it's not off by much at all.

14. huntress75

huntress75 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have a press :(
    Ill remember to ask Phil to check it out when I get to take it down to the pro shop to have it properly tuned. I was hoping to get it close myself. I'm new to all this and definitely want to learn how to maintain my own equipment. I thank you for the help.

15. huntress75

huntress75 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Went down and had my bow officially set up. It was indeed at 26. Turns out that im
    a 24 draw length. Funny how things like
    shoulders effect draw length.