Speed arrows for hunting.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by abates352, Aug 30, 2015.

1. abates352

abates352 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking for a fast durable arrow to extend the range on my HHA single pin sight. I am currently shooting 70# 30" arrow. Shooting thru a Hoyt nitrum turbo. Have Easton axis 300 now.

2. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Check out Easton HEXX arrows.

3. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like blue streaks. I think there considered "speed" arrows. I shoot them because my bow likes them.

4. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched from the Easton Axis 340 to the Full Metal Jackets. They are straight like aluminum but narrow like the Axis. They look cool too if that matters. I don't really know what kind of speed differences but I'm looking into getting a chrono. Waiting to see if my buddy buys one so then I don't have to.

5. abates352

Dislikes Received:
    I was looking at the Hexx and the blue streak, any negatives to either one?

6. DEdestroyer350

DEdestroyer350 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Black Eagle Carnivores and Rampage are great arrows.. At the moment I'm shooting FMJ 340s and they are def not light arrows my finished weight is like 508gr lol.. But I've shot both of the Black Eagles in the past and they fly really well, and are very tough

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  8. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    YES !!!

I am now shooting the HEXX arrows at different spots on my target - they were tearing the fletching off each other! :bow:

9. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    damn those overly accurate arrows!

10. AJBowhunter

AJBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To be blunt, fast arrows don't have any real place in the hunting world. The trade off from speed to penetration aren't even close to worth it. Not to mention the extreme number of 20 FPS is not going to make a bit of difference at 20 and certainly not at 70. You will shoot flatter, but you will lose a lot of penetration. If you want proof look at the videos of people using blue streaks. They barely make it half way in. If it were me I would stick with the axis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. nwmono

nwmono Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What he said

12. Buckaholic84

Buckaholic84 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a maxima red and ive been pleased with them....i wouldnt want to go much lighter then them for hunting....I think about 9 GPI is a good medium between speed and weight but my preference i wouldnt want to go much lighter

13. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I think of light weight tough shaft for hunting I have prequalifer of being able to add enough weight up front for high FOC, so with that in mind I make the following recommendations.
    Two arrows really stand out for standard diameter light weight hunting arrows. The GT velocity XT and Pro's with fact weights make for a great system. And also the Black Eagle Carnivore are a great light weight shaft for hunting.

In .209 ID shafts the one that comes to mind is the Black Rampage...loaded with HITS and VPA collars these are killer with plenty of weight up front.

14. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Speed doesn't really have much to do with penetration and killing power. Do some research on it before you go out and buy the lightest shaft to get a high fps

15. abates352

Dislikes Received:
    I understand that speed doesn't necessarily kill, but I also know that I don't need a 500 grain arrow to take down a whitetail.
    While tuning my current setup for BH, my axis and DRT went through both my bag target and BH target, and buried into a tree. seems to me like I could be trading some "penetration" for speed. Not sure what the positive is to being able to kill an Asian water buffalo is when I only hunt whitetail. I guess the argument could be made that I wont have to change my setup if I went on an elk hunt or something, but im thinking if that happens and my KE is in question the price of a half dozen arrows will be pretty cheap in regards to what I will be spending on the hunt.

P.S. if I am still shooting the proper spine, will BH flight be an issue. I know after my testing with the DRT, I am not willing to change heads anytime soon.

16. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I was shooting an RPM 360 set at 58# and a 377 grain Easton Bloodline. I shot a buck at 22 yards and my arrow was buried 6" in the dirt. A heavier arrow wouldn't have done any better except maybe bury further in the dirt. I know, I know, if I hit bone I will be sorry. But I have been bowhunting for 30 years and I have learned to shoot what I shoot best not what some guys on the internet tell me I should shoot :) .

17. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wait until you hit a shoulder.. Unless you are going to use them for unknown 3d shooting I wouldn't buy something lighter than an axis. You said you are wanting to extend the range on your bow, what are you getting know? Your bow would be pushing more fps than mine and I can reach out over 100 easy

18. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Easton lightspeed arrows. Never had much of a problem with penetration, even with my measley 35-ish ft lbs of ke.

But I don't shoot 3d arrows for speed, I shoot them because that's what works for me. I actually have them on the heavy side, they're cut long and I put a 125 gr head on them. For weight and to noodle up the spine a bit.

So, anyhow, there's nothing wrong with 3d shafts... Super light total arrow weight on the other hand...

19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not to mention at 70# and a 30DL....pretty much anything is going to be plenty fast enough. :)

20. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Had a similar convo the other day with a guy....he wants to use just 1 pin from 10 yards to 100yards............. :sad: