Easton FMJ 340 HIT Insert Adapter Rings (BARs)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Spear, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So tonight I unboxed my new Easton FMJ 340s that I bought last week and started working on the HIT inserts and epoxy. Then I realize that the broadheads I use (G5 Montecs) will require the adapter rings. Easy enough. So I get on the old Google machine and start looking for the size I need. I am finding conflicting answers, one place says BAR #5 and another says BAR #3. Can someone who shoots Easton FMJ 340s (or knows) please tell me which BARs I need?

This is what I have: http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11750642

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would ditch the BARS and either make a footing or purchase a premade footing. Either with work better then the Bars and will be more seamless.

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pretty sure you don't need the BAR for the montecs. It's only for when the face of the shaft holds the blades in like on the older thunderheads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  4. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The broadhead shaft (area between the thread and the blades - not sure what that part is called) sticks out about 1/2 an inch from the opening of the arrow shaft if the insert is left flush with the end of the arrow. Are you saying the inserts need to be set into the arrow cavity more and not flush with the end of the opening of the arrow so that the broadheads can thread in as well as conceal the shaft of the broadhead? Multiple other sites have people complain of splintering FMJ arrows because not enough of the broadhead was in the arrow, I assume it's because the insert was not set into the arrow cavity far enough. This is my first experience with HIT inserts, I've never had questions about broadheads or arrows like this so I appreciate the help.

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ...SIGH...son of a...

So I watched a YouTube video to see how HITs are installed. You know that dandy little plastic green insert tool, yeah, I didn't get one in my box of arrows. So now you can see why I was so confused. So I was right in my post above, the insert is set into the shaft to conceal the entire end of the broadhead. My goodness...

7. Jmcarlson6641

Jmcarlson6641 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I probably have an extra one laying around somewhere i could mail you if needed.

8. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I really appreciate it. I just called the store and they said I just need to bring in my receipt and box of arrows and they will give me one. If I have any issues with getting one from them I might take you up on that. Thanks!

9. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Did you already glue the inserts in?

10. Jmcarlson6641

Jmcarlson6641 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not a problem!

11. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You need the Bar5 which Easton's website also says.
    http://www.eastonhunting.com/products/arrows/full-metal-jacket

I shoot a killzone on my FMJs and although I dont think I need a BAR with them, they protect the arrows if you have a hard impact. The only complaint I've ever had with the FMJs is that if your broadhead is larger than the arrow shaft, a hard impact can slightly mushroom the arrow shaft. The BARs help to protect from this.

12. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No, I started to but when dry fitting the inserts with my broadheads it occurred to me that my broadhead wouldn't be fully seated in the arrow so I started looking into the BARs. Not having that insert tool confused the heck out of me. All I got in the box was the arrows, epoxy, inserts, and the deburring stone. No directions, no insert tool. Once I watched the YouTube video this morning I know what I'm missing and why it didn't make sense to me. I'm going to stop at the store to get the tool after work and do them tonight. The whole thing makes perfect sense now...

13. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it's a bit confusing. I won't let shops glue the inserts in my axis as I've had them mess it up too many times. I like the HIT system a lot though.

14. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    SOOO much easier after seeing what I was missing and actually had the directions to go off of (the YouTube video was better but still nice for confirmation). I think they will turn out nicely. I have them drying *laying horizontally* and can't wait to put a few down range. Thanks for all the help and answering my questions everyone.