Compound bow fraying?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Excal, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Excal

Excal Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So, after shooting around 150 arrows through my compound bow, the cables are beginning to fray.
    I have no idea if the cable is about to break, or if this is just the old wax coming off.
    Should waxing it solve the problem? I've had the bow for two weeks now.

http://imgur.com/a/coNb0

2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Def shouldn't be fraying that much for a 2 week old bow. You have to keep your string waxed all the time tho. I always apply it after a shoot a round or after a hunt in the rain etc.. Waxing prolongs the life of your string.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing to do with wax, you cable slide is fraying the cables , take a look at where the cable are in the slide when you draw...I will to be it at or need the slide ......you need a new one or you can sand and smooth the one you have....I would just change it out.

4. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like the cable slide is eating the cables. It also looks like the bowstring is catching on the cable guard too. The saunders hyperglide is a really good cable slide to reduce wear.

5. Excal

Excal Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Alright, thanks for the replies.
    I will be getting a new cable slide, thanks!
    (Will also keep those cables waxed)

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The cables look like the arrow is hitting it. The wear is the same on both cables which rules out the cable slide because one goes up and ones goes down and its a good distance above the slide. The fact your string also seems to be hitting the cable guard suggests you also might want to look into adjusting your cable guard out farther. There should be an screw at the bottom of the cable guard that you can loosen to turn it farther outward. You may need to take some tension off before loosening the screw though.

7. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with trial

8. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had the same thing happening on my Bowtech Assassin. I turned to the forum here for help, and at the recommendation of several on here i purchased the Saunders hyper-slide cable glide (same one mentioned by 60X Custom in an earlier comment). It is around $20.00, but has made a huge difference for me. The bow seems easier to draw, but more importantly, no more string wear!

Tags: