Arrows for gators?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Matr138920, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Matr138920

Matr138920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will be going down to Florida In January for a gator/pig combo hunt and was wondering what arrows/head combination you would use? My setup is a Hoyt Charger @ 27" draw and pulling 63#s. I already have some CX piledriver passthroughs (250 spine) that tip the scale @ 416 grns with a 100grn montec. With a 125 the weight goes up to 431, or I could use (400) FMJs with 75gr brass inserts and an overall weight of 467grns with a 100gr tip or 492grns with a 125 gr tip. I am open to suggestions if you have something different, now take in mind I am not using a bowfishing rig, but a normal arrow/broadhead.

2. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any arrow should work on gators and hogs. I have never taken a gator, but I have taken 5 hogs and would absolutely say that you will need fixed blade heads, not mechanicals. Hogs have tough skin and compact bodies.. you will want cut on contact to get the best penetration. Do a little research on hogs and their "shield" as well. They have a very, very tough "shield" in the front part of their body. If you hit that, you are only going to wound and piss it off. Take broadside of 1/4 away shots only. Also remember, hogs have bad eye sight, but can smell better than deer.. downwind is a must. Good luck! Hog meat is delicious by the way!!

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I use!
    [​IMG]

Works for bear too!
    th.jpg
    (disclaimer: This image was photoshopped, no bears were killed or injured in the making of this parody)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Be careful if you don't have the right setup you'll be over spined....where is tfox when you need him. :D

5. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your going after a trophy hog 250 or larger definitely aim for broadside behind front leg or 1/4 away smaller meat hogs 100 and under have less of a callus shield, boars that are bigger taste more gamey sows you can get away with a 200 pounder and still not be as gamey and I use montecs for hogs in Texas and haven't lost one yet it's all about placement

As for gators talk to your outfitter I bet he can give you good tips on what to use and best shot placement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015