arrow speed

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by levassep, Mar 26, 2015.

1. levassep

levassep Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi,

Is there a way to calculate or estimate arrow speed? I shoot a Hoyt Vector 32 at 55 lbs. In theory, I know that Hoyt says that this bow can shoot at 300 something fps but maybe not the way I shoot. I need arrow speed to be able to use an app from Full Flight Technology - Products to help adjust my sight.

I know there is somekind of radar that can mesure arrow speed but I can't access that kind of equipement.

thanks for your help.

2. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1st. Velocity calculators are an estimate at best.
    2nd. The VelocityTip system imo is and estimate at best.
    3rd. Both will get you in the ballpark. I (with experience) can get you in the ballpark just by spacing them out.
    4th. It really is not difficult to sight your pins in by shooting arrows.
    5th. The only way to truly set you pins is by shooting arrows and moving the pins to were the arrow goes.

I recommend just spending some time and doing it right. There are no shortcuts. You can get very good info here from people willing to help you. Just ask. Nothing is to simple that you can't ask for help. That is what is so good about this place.

And WELCOME. Nice to have you here.

3. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  4. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    I would go to a local archery shop if possible and shoot through a chronograph and weigh your arrows with tip.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just run the numbers through this on what I have on the No Cam and its within 1 FPS from what I an getting in the Chrono. Maybe luck but its encouraging. I would however suggest you get your draw weight checked. I have never took a bow out of the box that was in spec. Could be off as much as 5 to 6 FPS but if your specs are close the weight should be too. Specs meaning axel to axel and brace measurements.

6. levassep

levassep Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you Whitetail, you're right no other way than doing it in field, just wanted to use the gizmo to see if it was good to use.

I really find that forum very helpfull, thanks to all of you for your help.

7. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:

Yea that little tool works nicely. I was skeptical at first but its pretty darn accurate. I mainly use it when i'm looking for a new bow or getting different arrows. Kind of gives you a good ballpark on where you would be as far as speed and KE. I used this recently as I was thinking about going with a lighter arrow but played with the numbers and found out that I would actually start to lose Kinetic energy. It kind of lets you find what the perfect weight arrow would be for the most KE for your setup.