Screw in inswrt weights

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ctrupp, Mar 16, 2015.

1. ctrupp

ctrupp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How do these work? Are they added to an insert? I am looking to put together a new arrow set up and I was looking at these to add some weight for a better FOC. Thanks for the help.

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. Typically they screw into the back of the insert. You can install them before gluing your inserts in, however if you want to install or remove them later you'll need a special tool which is essentially a very long allen key. You slide that in the back of the arrow and use it to install/remove the weights as needed.

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I welded an allen wrench to a long cold rolled bar. Then welded a "T" onto the other end. Be sure and use some loctite on the insert weight before installing.

4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They work well and can help you adjust FOC as you said without buying new arrows or broad heads. If you just want to add weight to your arrow you can also just use weed eater line and insert inside the arrow.

5. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like stated here already they work great! I usually put them I before I glue in my insert and also add a little blue loc-tight. I also have the 33" Allen key they sell for them also to change out wights for different weighted heads to stay in the same range and FOC. I like to stay at my complete weight if 490gr with a 12.5% FOC

Here's a pic of the Gold Tip FACT weight system I was installing on some old arrows 2 season ago
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Pony30

Pony30 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just got some Easton FMJs - I am regretting that I didn't install the brass insert before setting everything up. Currently sitting at about 9.8% FOC and would like to be >11%. Can you add weights to FMJs after the HIT insert is already installed (I don't think so). Is my only option to go with a 125 grain BH instead of a 100? Thanks for the advice and sorry if I am hijacking the thread, I was just about to post and saw this subject so figured I would drop in.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your out of luck. your only options are to use a heavier broadhead or add a footing.

8. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    No offense... but that is a horrible idea. There is no way to add the weight evenly to one side of the shaft or the other. and getting all your arrows exact wouldn't be that easy. You could just squeeze the whole arrow full of caulking too, but that's not a good idea either.

Or remove the inserts and install the brass inserts. Most of the time you can screw a field tip into the arrow and heat the field tip with a torch and pull the inserts out with vice grips.

9. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can do that with the HIT inserts. Since the field point is touching the carbon you'll hear up the carbon before the insert and the easton epoxy doesn't dislodge with heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's actually a pretty common practice in the trad bowhunting world. That and commercial weight tubes. The problem is they do not help FOC they just add total weight. I find both the weed eater line and weight tubes to be noisy so I don't use them.

11. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    It all heats at the same rate and the glue gets soft before the carbon has any issues... specifically if the carbon is wrapped in aluminum. I've pulled many HIT inserts out of Easton axis arrows that had the Easton epoxy. Maybe I'm just ultra lucky...

12. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used the Gold Tip weigh system last year to add 50gr to the front of my arrows. Worked like a charm. I got better arrow flight with a higher FOC, which was the goal. I also gained KE.

13. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No offense taken. It is not ideal but works in a jam and if you are not looking for tack splitting accuracy without buying new arrows or changing your spine.

14. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is awesome. I was just looking into brass inserts for weight up front. Spines a touch to stiff. I'll have yo look into the gold tip system. Keep us posted on what you decide.

15. ctrupp

ctrupp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input. Hardwoods I am looking to do the same thing you did. Can you put a 20 grain and a 10 grain together and then screw the pair into a 50 grain insert? This is what I am hoping to do. This will give me about a 490 grain arrow with almost 14% FOC.

16. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The weights screw into each other, yes, I have two 20gr weights screwed together then screwed into my insert. Not sure what type of brass insert you are using so I would just make sure it is threaded on the back end to accept the weights.

17. ctrupp

ctrupp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking at the 50 grain Gold Tip aluminum insert. I should not have any trouble adding a 20 and 10 grain screw in weight to those, right?

18. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I believe those inserts will accept the weights. Might shoot GT an email to confirm, or call Lancaster Archery.

19. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes they are.