Arrow length?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ctrupp, Mar 13, 2015.

1. ctrupp

ctrupp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been shooting for 2 years now. When I started I was told I should use a 28" arrow. I have a 28" DL. Is a 28"arrow correct for that DL, or should the arrow be shorter? Thanks for the help.

2. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's my setup I could use a slightly shorter arrow. Check out hunters Freind .com they have a good arrow size section for reading

3. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You should shoot the correct spine and length for your setup. Things that determine that is:

-Bow's cam style: soft/hard/extra hard
    -Bow's draw weight
    -Bow's draw length
    -What is one each end of the arrow in weight: insert/tip/nock/fletching/wrap all come into play for how the arrow reacts. For instance is you put enough weight up front, say 300 grain tip/insert, a 340 spine arrow will react like a 400 arrow with 100 tip.
    -Manufacture's listed spine
    -Arrow length

Proper arrow length should be determined based on desired spine. This is what I do.

I measure the arrow length so the BH is past my bowhand fingers at full draw. This is my arrow minimum length, I like to keep my fingers. I then go to Pinwheel Shaft Selector, put in bow model and all the arrow components specs (always with heavy insert, FFP-360 or SK-300 Flex-fletch vanes). Then I play with spine, tip weight and arrow length to get the correct spine. I usually try to get it just on the heavy side but still in the green.

Pinwheel offers a free 5 day trail. Just make sure you use the correct filters such as target or hunting etc. This has worked very well for me.

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My arrows are cut about 1/2 inch in front of my rest at full draw. Just be sure that the broadhead clears the sight window.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. The only hard rule is that the arrow should have enough length to avoid it falling off the rest. Generally 1/2 inch in from of rest and the broad head if you shoot one clears the riser cleanly. My draw length is 27". I could shoot a 26" arrow easily but choose to shoot a 27" arrow to get a little more weight.