Upped my poundage

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by kurveball18, Feb 26, 2015.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,

So I thought I had my bow sighted in pretty good. I was setup shooting at about 50 pounds but decided to turn up my poundage to about 55 pounds. I went and shot this morning and now it seems every arrow was about 1.5" high and a inch to the left or so. My question is, can increasing the draw weight affect your poi that much? thoughts?

2. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What is your arrow and draw length?
    With 55 pounds and 400 spine arrows, you really shouldn't notice a change at all.

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, you should. Five pounds makes a surprising difference!

I learned this when I wasn't able to draw my own bow (on a wide 8pt in Alberta) because I'd been sitting in extreme cold for hours without practice drawing periodically to keep my muscles loose. When I got back to camp I dropped it 5lbs, from 63# to 58# and shot at 20 yrds. I was low by several inches. That's a lot.

4. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok.
    I just turned mine down 5 pounds last week and my POI dropped about a 1/4", not even enough to tell.
    I think a lot of it has to do with the speed of the bow and the weight of the arrows. I went from 68 to 63 at 20 yards as well.

5. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's case dependent but yes, it can also move your left and right from being over/under spined. You can plan on sighting in again every time you change poundage by more than a pound maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. My bow only shoots 250fps with a heavy arrow at 501gr. I'm sure this accounted for my drop.

7. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you guys, At first I felt like **** because I thought something was wrong with the bow. So I focused really hard on a making a accurate shot and I hit a little high and left. Right now i'm shooting the Easton Axis 400 arrows at 386 grains total.

Tonight when I get home from work just for piece of mind i'm going to turn it back down to what it was and shoot again to see if it go's back to what it was. If so, then I'll know for sure its the poundage increase and that i'll have to adjust sight when I increase that much. (Yes i'm on here at work!) Shhhhhhh... don't tell my boss. HAHA )

... if this is the case, I'm guessing the reason I hit a little high is because the arrow is going faster and technically still on the rise.

8. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Possibly thinking about going to a tad lighter arrow since i'm only shooting 50-55 pounds. Do you all think a 340-350 grain arrow is too light? Right now i'm at 386 with the Axis arrows but it would be nice to shoot a little flatter all the way out to 30 yards. Right now i'm dropping at like 25 yards. I was looking at the Blue Streak arrows by CX. I just don't want to get too light to where the wind really affects my arrow a lot.

9. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    nope... too heavy.... at those poundages ya should be shooting 400's

10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He is shooting .400s

11. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No you're arrow weight is not to heavy, leave it alone ...

12. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Another quick question.I just had my draw length adjusted from 28" to 27". I feel more comfortable with it being at 27 instead. My arrows are cut at 28 inches and fly great but they now stick out in front at full draw. Is that bad?I would say 2-3inches from the rest.

13. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    kurveball - have you thought about checking for paper tune as well? If both limbs weren't moved the same amount, could this have affected the arrow flight? It might also indicate an arrow spine issue as well. I don't know, never really thought about it I guess when I've adjusted draw weight.

14. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's not a big deal if your arrows stick out a few inches, but I usually cut mine to 1" from the rest. If you were to cut your arrows down to 1" in front of the rest your arrow weight would go down about 18 grains and if you can shoot 60lbs before season starts losing a couple of grains wouldn't hurt you at all and you would be shooting flat, you could probably shoot 1 pin out to 30 yards. Everyone has their own opinion but it's your final decision any way, if you decide not to cut them or if you do there's not a whole lot of difference besides the ease of tuning.